I can see your house from here

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Mr Belgium
Axe
Axe

I can see your house from here

Post by Mr Belgium »

:?:
Does anybody here ...
... know the meaning of the sentence "The Lord said Peter I can see your house from here" in this lovely song It's a miracle?

I do not have the faintest idea.
Mr Belgium
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

It is in reference to an old joke (i can't be bothered trying to remember the whole thing) about Jesus at the time of his crucifixion, Peter could hear his Lord calling to him and thinking he had something important to tell him in his dying moments, made his way through the crowd, up the hill and to the foot of the cross to hear what Jesus had to say, The Lord said "Peter, I can see your house from here"
Mr Belgium
Axe
Axe

Post by Mr Belgium »

Hi Rik
I know about this joke, but i do not understand the reference to it in the song.
Jan
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

I haven't thought much into it, but here goes a couple of minutes thinking:

It's not really in reference to that song, more into the rest of the album, which, in particular What God Wants (1, 2 and 3) which all take a dig at religeon.

The Garden of Gethsemene was the garden where Jesus took all his diciples (sp) after the last Supper.

The rest of the song talks about things which aren't happening but, if they did, they would be both miraculous, but both good and bad at the same time... its a very tounge-in-cheek song.

Maybe the line is there becasue it didn't happen or something.

like i said, Ive though about this for a couple of minutes :p
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

A couple more minutes of thought, here...

The first verse of the song deals with the commercialization of the world...places that once were considered "sacred" now boast the presence of Pepsi and McDonalds.

The second verse contains the joke in question and seems, to me, to deal (at first) with the notion that famine is man-made...with warehouses of food, the only reason for anyone to starve is because we (the people with the warehouses of food no one is eating) want them to; or rather, that we don't want to share our warehouses of food. The next part of this verse deals with designer labels (immediately following the line about designer crime)...all cars, it seems. Next comes a reference to the Garden Of Gethsemane and the crucifiction of Christ...a "designer crime," perhaps? After all, Christ is now a big name and has certainly been commercialized...witness the T-shirts that seem to be of the Pepsi logo, but upon close inspection actually say "Jesus--Choice Of The Last Generation," although my personal favorite is the one that shows the image of Christ diving for a basketball about to go out of bounds...the text under the picture reads "Jesus Saves!!."

If you think about it...Jesus Christ is a perfect example of how a "good" and "pure" message can be twisted and perverted by the "Powers That Be," after they have gone through the trouble of destroying the messenger.

I've often said that Christ was crucified by people very much like those who spout his name today as if it were a product. "I've found Jesus," they say in the same tone of voice they use when saying "I drink Coca-Cola."

"Jesus is my saviour," they say and it sounds just like "My car's a Chevy."

The final verse deals with Roger's loathing of Lloyd-Weber (and who can blame him?)...which ends the song by laying out the notion that that which is commercial is not necessarily of good quality.

"Pop"-anything is usually disposable...trash...not intended to be remembered. One can argue that Mr. Lloyd-Weber writes in a tradition that has been around for a long period of time and is intended to last for a longer period of time than your typical pop...Cats has been around for about twenty years...Grease is going on thirty years...and it is true that Broadway musicals can run for decades...but decades is not really that long a period of time in the end.

Lloyd-Weber is a form of "Pop" disguised as something classy...and in Roger's estimation, it's not even very good quality of either.

Notice that the things he mentions in the first and third verses are things that are actually of poor quality. Pepsi (while definitely the best soda IMO) is not something good to be putting into your body...McDonalds is not good quality food...Lloyd-Weber is not good quality music.

This leaves us with the second verse...the religion going around these days isn't very good quality, either. In fact, you might even say that it's a joke.

Make sense?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Was it Roger himself or did anyone actually use the phrase "throw any single species to much wrote and they'll fuck it up?"

I listen to the song and he goes on about the pope and stuff, but which one of them wrote it? Or did he make it up? So many questions to ask here.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:Was it Roger himself or did anyone actually use the phrase "throw any single species to much wrote and they'll *duck* it up?"

I listen to the song and he goes on about the pope and stuff, but which one of them wrote it? Or did he make it up? So many questions to ask here.

I've never heard that phrase exactly...I've always heard it applied to the concept of a specific person, as in "give him too much rope and he'll hang himself," which seems to be a variation on the phrase "I give you an inch and you take a mile." (Or, for the metrically minded, "I give you a meter and you take 9 kilometers."

Of course, Roger's take on it is slightly more cynical (which I expect from Roger,) and full of catastrophic suggestion...but it's essentially the same idea.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Wow...this discussion ended quickly, didn't it?
Mr Belgium
Axe
Axe

Post by Mr Belgium »

Yeah, I am still absorbing all these great ideas.
Maybe we can go and have a thought on the next sentence, "An honest family man Finally reaped what he had sown"? ;-)

Anyway, I gave a good friend, called Peter, and everytime I see him I notice him I can see his house from here. So, I am the Lord? It's a Miracle!