ZZ Top

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

ZZ Top

Post by floydrocks »

I'm a big fan of ZZ Top, and being from southern U.S., I was wondering if any British like Top alot?

I happen to love the early stuff (First Album thru Deguello) and think El Loco and Eliminator are not too good (some tracks on Eliminator suck and some are awsome, like Sharp Dressed Man) and Afterburner is total crap. (only song that makes me laugh on that one is Woke Up with Wood) I'm not even going into the 90s (even though when they got on RCA they improved) as I just want to focus on the early to middle days.

What happened to them? Gone were the hooks and raw sound that made the early records so great...instead they got fake drum beats and synths. Bleh! A total sellout, in my opinon. Some people love that era, though.....I don't know why because when you listen to Tres Hombres and think of Eliminator you go, hey, Eliminator sucks! What makes things worse is when they reissued all of their early albums on CD in like 1990, they put crappy fake drums and reverb over the vocals, truly ruining the feel-good rawness of the original mix.

Anyone else think this was a travesty? Only place you usta could (southern slang right there hehe) get the original mixes was on the reissue of 1977's Best of ZZ Top. Luckily they released Chrome Smoke and BBQ in 2003, but I didn't buy it cuz I wasn't about to spend 50 bucks for 2 discs of great stuff and 2 discs of crappy Eliminator-Afterburner junk. Then they released Rancho Texicano about 2 weeks ago and it was awsome- all the early hits (plus some 80s ones) for like $15.99. And on a 2-disc set! That, I think, is giving me a fix until they reissue all of Top's albums from 1970-1979 on CD w/remastered sound, bonus tracks, liner notes and artwork, etc.

Being a bit long winded, but I just had to get a word out and I'd like to know all of your opinions on ZZ Top and those remixed CDs. I wish they would remaster and repackage them- that would be a happy day for me!
moreblues
Knife
Knife

Post by moreblues »

zz are good especially early stuff, but to me they look a bit disgusting with the huge beards, they remind me of religious fanatics.
i wish they could just shave!
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

They look like nasty oversized teddy bears.
moreblues
Knife
Knife

Post by moreblues »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote:They look like nasty oversized teddy bears.
nice description, they could very well be a couple of terrorists' huggies
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

moreblues wrote:
Flame-Sky Diver wrote:They look like nasty oversized teddy bears.
nice description, they could very well be a couple of terrorists' huggies
Or maybe just some Texans with long beards? :?
moreblues
Knife
Knife

Post by moreblues »

isn't it the same thing? :)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I liked ZZ top until I saw them live - it was the shortest concert I had ever been too - 45 minuets of music and a car flying in the air - rip off
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I don't like them- all their stuff sounds the same, and is SOOOO commercially produced....no depth of content. No showcase of outstanding talent. Nice car, but no thanks- I'll walk...
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:I don't like them- all their stuff sounds the same, and is SOOOO commercially produced....no depth of content. No showcase of outstanding talent. Nice car, but no thanks- I'll walk...
Have you ever heard the unbutchered original versions of ZZ Top's First Album, Rio Grande Mud, and Tres Hombres?

I can see your point about Eliminator, I hate that album too, but I was wondering if you've heard their first three.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Ther early stuff is good
Elyuk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Elyuk »

first 3 albums & Tejas are the only real albums to count. strip down blues rock.
this weekend 7-17 they play in Walker, Minnesota. some outdoow festival, with alot of other dinosuars. still love the albums, but its time hang up the spurs
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

Elyuk wrote:first 3 albums & Tejas are the only real albums to count. strip down blues rock.
this weekend 7-17 they play in Walker, Minnesota. some outdoow festival, with alot of other dinosuars. still love the albums, but its time hang up the spurs
Why don't you like Fandango? It's a great album too, though no Tres Hombres.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I live in Texas, and I ABHORE ZZ Top. Then again..........I loathe Texas, and nearly anything associated with it....
Elyuk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Elyuk »

i forgot about fandango, not a album i really care for, its o.k. actual first album i owned by them.