Bass guitar on a normal amplifier?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Bass guitar on a normal amplifier?

Post by Powderfinger »

I'm thinking of buying a bass-guitar, but I don't want to spend a lot of money :lol:

I have now this electric-gutiar amp:

Can I use this one in combination with a bass guitar, or should I buy a bass-amplifier?
woof
Knife
Knife

Post by woof »

Don't plug your bass into any sort of amplifier. Basses use completely different frequencies than the guitar. Believe me, Syd, I'm talking from experiences of fecking up my best mates Marshall...it costs about ?150 to put right again and then it was a shadow of it's former self. Just don't it mate...that amp looks like a beauty and its not worth just experimenting to make it so phut! The same logic goes to using a guitar through a bass amp...different frequencies again. I've just finished a music programme that lasted 3years and this was a major part (music tech) of the syllabus!
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

That's odd. I can plug My Fender Jazz into any amp and it doesn't do a thing wrong! I know they use different Frequencies but it's never bothered my brother's amp. Sometimes it even sounds better!
woof
Knife
Knife

Post by woof »

MikeWaters wrote:That's odd. I can plug My Fender Jazz into any amp and it doesn't do a thing wrong! I know they use different Frequencies but it's never bothered my brother's amp. Sometimes it even sounds better/
been told by my tech tutor that it is alright if you are not using that much volume, but don't play at GIG volume. I'd just buy a bass amp anyhow...at leats you have the choice when you want to play live. I have a guitar amp but I play my bass through my Farfisa silver series organ. the speaker cans are masive...at least 15 inch!
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

I'd get a bass amp- don't risk it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Guitar amps are voiced for geetars and bass for bass amps. Different frequency range. You can blow your speaker out and damage the cone. This is especially true when jamming one through the PA system!! :roll: :lol:
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

OK, I won't do it, thanks guys for your reactions :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

My band just had rehearsals and we wouldnt find our bass amp so we just used an old PA speaker and power mixer! Oops! :lol:

We have a gig at the "Roadhouse" in Manchester tomorrow (friday 2nd)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith Jordan wrote:My band just had rehearsals and we wouldnt find our bass amp so we just used an old PA speaker and power mixer! Oops! :lol:

We have a gig at the "Roadhouse" in Manchester tomorrow (friday 2nd)
:D Thats really not a good idea now is it :D

Always best to have a D.I. box handy for such eventualities, shouldnt be a problem then.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Yeah I do have a bass amp. It's a Acousitc 360 head with 2 Hartake Cabinates!