Black Sabbath Black Box

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Black Sabbath Black Box

Post by floydrocks »

Aight, I'm a diehard Sab fan (of the Ozzy era at least), and I really want this set and I'm willing to spend 89 bucks on it, but I had some questions about the set before buying it. I'm sure one of you out there bought this, so maybe you can help.

I read (and saw some pics on http://www.black-sabbath.com ) that the digipaks that the CDs are housed in do not contain the complete original artwork, i.e. poster for Master of Reality, gatefold booklet on Vol. 4, gatefold on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (I bought SBS on Japan import so I'm not really worried about that one) and credits on albums such as Never Say Die. Now, this is pretty serious stuff. Is this really true? :? And if so, do the albums like Paranoid and Black Sabbath include the gatefold artwork? Or maybe you could just name what comes with each. If so, why in heck would they not include ALL the original album artwork? Take a hint from Castle, eh!! They did a great job. I like seeing all the original artwork from something, cause sometimes artwork adds to the effect of albums. And it's also a plus to include it for collectors out there. Did they just get lazy? I've seen incredible reissued album artwork on albums such as Uriah Heep live. Castle included everything down to the original album inner bags. (albeit cropped off a bit at the edges- I own the original U.S. lp, so I know) With all the money spent on the project I wonder what went through their minds.......lazy, I think. Also, it's a bit dissapointing to think that basically all of Rhino's other reissues include all original artwork- now why couldn't Sabbath get that kind of treatment? People have been waiting years for this set!

Now, I'm not worried about the sound, cause all of Rhino's remasters sound great. Another thing is, are they going to release these albums soon individually? Maybe with the original art? Who knows.

And one more thing before I go off- is the hardcover book any good? Any really rare photos and some memorabilia mebbe?
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Go to amazon and see if is on there and red the reviews, it sounds like a ripp off to me.
Whats your fav sabbath album? Sabbath Bloody Sabbath here, especially killing yourself to live (reminds me of some-one close)
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

Alternative 4 wrote:Go to amazon and see if is on there and red the reviews, it sounds like a ripp off to me.
Whats your fav sabbath album? Sabbath Bloody Sabbath here, especially killing yourself to live (reminds me of some-one close)
Yea SBS was my fav and it still might be, but Sabotage gives it a run for its money.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

SBS is probably their best but Never say die is very underrated. Saw Sabbath a number of times but the one that sticks in my mind was 26th May 1978 - its the day I left school and Van Halen were the support band.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

My brother is a huge Sabbath fan- I don't think he ever missed a show when they came to Phoenix.... In fact, the very first song I learned to play on the bass was Paranoid.... (because he's the the guy I jammed with, and, being the better guitarist, he got to pick what we played) Not the easiest song, for a rookie!
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:My brother is a huge Sabbath fan- I don't think he ever missed a show when they came to Phoenix.... In fact, the very first song I learned to play on the bass was Paranoid.... (because he's the the guy I jammed with, and, being the better guitarist, he got to pick what we played) Not the easiest song, for a rookie!
Paranoid is pretty easy to play on bass, but for a rookie it is prolly tough.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

drafsack wrote:SBS is probably their best but Never say die is very underrated. Saw Sabbath a number of times but the one that sticks in my mind was 26th May 1978 - its the day I left school and Van Halen were the support band.
That would have been kick ass, although no huge van halen fan (did eddie play eruption with his back to the crowd? i heard he did in those days so no-one stole his idea of fret tapping) sabbath would rock live.

Sabotage is good, the writ is one of thier best songs.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Alternative 4 wrote:
That would have been kick ass, although no huge van halen fan (did eddie play eruption with his back to the crowd? i heard he did in those days so no-one stole his idea of fret tapping) sabbath would rock live.

I don't really recall - Like you Im not a big van halen fan but Dave Lee Roth had such a stage pressence it was hard to take your eyes off him - they were amazing that night - had never seen a band like them - the prog bands that were around at the time would have been blown away by them - on the night they were probably better than Sabbeth who didn't play at all well but carried it off on the back of Parinoid - once they had played that we were all Sabbeth devoties again - but it was a close call