Roger - Warm and Cuddly?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Roger - Warm and Cuddly?

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Guitar.com: You also have Jon Carin on keyboards, which is interesting because he also played with Pink Floyd on its last couple of tours. Did that present any sort of problem?

Waters: Not really. He does a specific job, and he does it particularly well. I don’t have any worry about the fact that he’s somebody who might be seen to have been in another camp at some point. That’s not a problem. He’s a big fan of the music and the songs, and he expressed that very clearly when we spoke on the telephone before we rehearsed together. I think he may have been [intimidated]; there’s no question that I would have been bad-mouthed to some quite considerable extent, surely, in his presence because of the work he had done with those other guys. They would have built up a strange picture of me as this autocratic monster. I think people who have been in that environment are always surprised when they meet me and discover how warm and cuddly I am.

---

What do you think? :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Erm... That's actually quite frightning. Take it away before the younger members of the board get upset.

In all seriousness it sounds like the sort of thing Pete Towsend or Gary Glitter would say :lol:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

Well, we all know what DG is like. I'm sure he bad mouthed roger at every opportunity he got. I'll bet he made everyone of the musicians, roadies, and everyone else that traveled with the band, say at least one bad thing about roger everyday or he would fire them.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

This Dave vs Roger is a dead horse,get off of it and bury it.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

This isn't a "David Vs. Roger" debate. I just thought it was funny how Roger described himself as warm and cuddly :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

There is a huge period of Time between Roger telling this to Carin ( 1999 ) and Carin playing for the first time with Pink Floyd ( 1986-1987 ). The conclusion is up to you: has RW changed, was he always friendly or is he still an egomaniac that has managed to hide it for others ??? It's up to you.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Spinoza wrote:There is a huge period of Time between Roger telling this to Carin ( 1999 ) and Carin playing for the first time with Pink Floyd ( 1986-1987 ). The conclusion is up to you: has RW changed, was he always friendly or is he still an egomaniac that has managed to hide it for others ??? It's up to you.
Well, warm and cuddly are two adjectives that I would not use to describe RW. I think he probably hired Carin more to spite Gilmour than for his talent as a musican and I'm sure that Gilmour was bashed as well on his tour.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

quicksilver wrote:and I'm sure that Gilmour was bashed as well on his tour.
SURELY NOT BY ROGER, everyone knows that he is as warm and fuzzy as he says.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I hope this doesn't come under the heading of Roger Vs Dave...in the interviews with Roger I have seen or read lately, he comes across as much more relaxed and approachable than he did in interviews I have with him in 1984.

After all, this IS the guy who wrote The Wall...I imagine that he went through a period in his life where he rather lost his way and tried to compensate for it by being a bit of a wanker.

Roger has admitted that he has undergone therapy...I'm sure this has quite a bit to do with the relaxed demeanor that he displays lately.

He's worked thorough his issues and is much more comfortable with himself.

I'm sure he did some things and took part in some things that he is not proud of, but he's not that person anymore.

I'm sure that compared to the 1984 model, the "new" Roger IS rather warm and cuddly.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

If anyone wants proof Roger can be a bit of a git look through your old issues of Q from around the time of Amused To Death and read his comments in an interview they did around the time. I can't remember what issue, but i read it in the book Through The Eyes Off... and he sounds like a right old git in it. warm and cuddly indded.

He calls a Q writer a c*** for saying he dislikes Amused To Death and slags off Shinead O Conner (or whatever her name is) before complaining in bitterness about Dave and generally swearing a lot.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

stop the filthy language.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Sorry, but it's actually a quote, i should have put the speech marks then. Here's a few quotes from the interview to show how much of a nasty egomanic he was. These are all genuine qoutations.

"Sweeting is not a nice man. I don't know him but i know him. He says i write tweedle. He's wrong! He's one taco short of a mexican meal." Sweeting is not the only a**e hole: there's other c***s like Andy Gill and Charles Shaar Murray."

"What the f**k's the matter with these a**e holes?"

"Adam Sweeting, Adam Gill and the other f**ker and all that rest, they should all be in hospital. I am confident i'm really clever and that i am really good at what i do and i'm not having parts like Sweeting and Andy Gill and Shaar bloody Murray telling me that i'm no good because they're wrong. Amused To Death is f**king f**king good. Isn't it?"

"Well anyway, i am one of the five best writers to have come out since the war."

"She's so far up her own bum it's scary" (Roger on Sinead O' Conner, cough, hypocrit.)

"You can't just lie in the corner and shave your bloody head and stick it up your arse and ocassionally pull it out to go (in brouge) "Oh, i tink this is wrong and dat is wrong" and burst in to tears." (Also on Sinead O Conner.)

(On Echoes sounding very similar to the opening of Phantom of the Opera) "B*****d. It probably is actionable. it really is! But i think life's to short to bother with suing Andrew f**king Loyd Webber. I think that might make me really gloomy."

(On Gilmour and Mason) "F**k them."

Finally he ends on saying the only writers better than him are John lennon and "maybe" Freddie Mercury.

Sorry about the swearing Keith, but before floods of people start saying how warm and cuddly he is they should probably read some quotation from the man that prove him to be anything else. If anyone doesn;t beleive me then find the interview yourself on the internet.

It was from Novermber 1992's issue of Q magazine.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Again keith, sorry about the filthy language and i'm sure anyone with half a brain can figure out what words have been hidden. Although i assure you it's to serve a qorthwhile purpose to this debate about Roger's peronality.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

And since the time of those quotes, he's had eleven years to undergo therapy and mature.

Roger didn't say he was warm and cuddly in 1992...he was referring to the NOW.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

So he has 8 years up until then to calm down.

He wasn't very famous then and he's not very famous now. i don't see how it could have taken more than 8 years of not being famous before someone manages to calm themselves down a bit. Warm and cuddly now? How come he wasn't warm and cuddly then when he wasn't famous? And what that interview showed was that in 8 years he hadn't imroved atll despite nobody really caring about him. I'm sure amused to death wasn't a huge commercial release or anything so he didn't have any less preassure on him than he does now.

Once crazy, always crazy