go grab 2 free Roger songs

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Do you like the two new songs?

Yes
61%
They are okay
15%
No
24%

Total votes: 66

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

moreblues wrote: you are welcome J Ed, so this didn't solve all your life trouble huh, well i happen to know a couple of other softwares.. :lol:

but really it didn't work for me perfectly as the sound quality was dramatically reduced,, did you have this problem or was it fine with you./

you got a software that will give me job security?

I actually did have a few probs w that Sound Recorder tool
but its better than where I was before, recording nothing

biggest prob was of course with my unreliable telephone connection
I had to use the lo-quality Windows Media audio-stream,
and even then I had to wait til midnite Pacific time to get "Leaving Beirut" without any pauses in the stream

I would have done it at work, where theres a proper connection, but the bastards there dont let us workers install our own software, cuz they're scared we might use it to download music off the internet or something, the irrational paranoids!

as for sound quality, I found I had to play with levels in two places:
one within the software (it has a slider), and also my soundcard itself has a set of sliders that can be adjusted -
I had to adjust both of them downward, cuz Beirut especially has lots of quiet bits before the louder chorus, and it got all distorted the first time I recorded it
you know when the color bar leaps up into the yellow at the top thats when its going to start getting distorted

also it took me a while to figure out: the input I wanted was not Modem but Mixed Output, whatever that means

in the end I got two files adequate to burn to CD, sounding better than a lot of MP3s I've heard, and I may try to improve my results before the demo license runs out - or use it to record audio off DVDs!!

J Ed
diablo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by diablo »

I dont drink and the only time I go to church is for a wedding. Im not pro Bush or Kerry. Thats the biggest problem in this country. Left and right. There should not be a left or right. We should all be in the middle working
with each other instead of saying my side is right and yours is wrong. I take it by your comments you will cast your vote for Mr. Kerry. Its America and if that is your choice thats great. Im not so much pissed about Bush bashing but America bashing. We are often wrong in what we do but most of the time we do the correct thing for ourselves and the world. I know Im very happy in Louisville KY. I bet you thought I would say Texas didnt you? I do plan to take a trip to Texas someday but not to see the "Whitehouse" but to see the resting place of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Now you can get back up on your Democratic soapbox and bad mouth the USA some more.....or until Mr. Kerry gets in office and you can say how great it is again. P.S. I voted for Clinton twice and for Bush once. Thats the middle Im talking about. I didnt vote for the parties but the men and what they said. I wished we all thouht like that
moreblues
Knife
Knife

Post by moreblues »

J Ed wrote:

:oops: sorry if my joke was out of taste..
no unfortunately i don't, if i had one i'd have used it for myself, i know exactly how you feel, i got sacked two years ago and spent the worst 18 months of my life (unfortunately i spent them in the place i love the most, UK and London) looking for work, i'm working now thank god but also you can get sacked in a flick of a switch here :cry:
J Ed wrote: the bastards there dont let us workers install our own software, cuz they're scared we might use it to download music off the internet or something, the irrational paranoids!
:lol: yeah, seems to me those bastards know what they are doing.
J Ed wrote: as for sound quality,
i've broadband and the hi stream in w m player is of very good quality but unfortunately the recording quality is decreased even after playing with those sliders.
J Ed wrote: also it took me a while to figure out: the input I wanted was not Modem but Mixed Output, whatever that means
that's strange because i don't get these names in source, i have other things and the ones that worked were : mixer and analogue mono and they both gave bad quality! also the help file says you have to chose "what you hear" which is not availavle at the source menu, could it be that the same software has different attitudes on different PCs?
J Ed wrote:in the end I got two files adequate to burn to CD, sounding better than a lot of MP3s I've heard, and I may try to improve my results before the demo license runs out - or use it to record audio off DVDs!!
please keep me updated..
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

moreblues wrote:
J Ed wrote:

:oops: sorry if my joke was out of taste...

hey no fear!
as you've stated before, what people call problems is relative
and its not immanent unemployment thats stressing me so much
its that my workvisa ends when my job does, meaning I also have to move
not the end of the world, I'm just stress-prone by character

regarding the topic at hand:
I think there will always be some degradation in Sound Quality
cuz we're making a recording of a sound thats playing on our computer
like making a tape from a vinyl LP:
it can be very good if you have a very good system, but will never be identical
at least thats my theory

J Ed
Parpa
Blade
Blade

P Floyd Fan...A Sensitive Lot

Post by Parpa »

Hey, I don't see this as being necessarily "anti-American" simply cause Rog is writing about how maddening this (and any) war can be. Obviously his views are being transmitted quite loudly - - but many of us applaud him for this as we always have. I am an American - - and like MANY Americans I know, nearly stand up and cheer when I read things, hear or see things like that. Those lines about Bush and US policy - - and the trouble we're causing in the world today (yes, WE...the UK could have been the hero in this one had Tony only stood up and said, "Get F#$%*!" to poor George...but anyway, I'm getting off-track...my point is that I thing Roger has balls and more people NEED TO STAND UP in this world and speak out against the Powers That BE...Roger has always been there for US.

Anyway...To Kill The Child...eh, it's ok.
Leaving Beirut though is very cool...I'd like to see Rog set history lessons to music and narrate away. He's very good at it!

Peace.

[quote="ALB"]A few things here....

First of all, I think we all have to remember that these are "demos". I'm sure the constructive criticism about Rogers voice not being mixed in high enough during the narration of Leaving Beruit and the female background singers voices being mixed to loudly are all things they will consider when making a master cut for a future CD. Also, I'm sure musically these songs will change a bit. If I'm not mistaken, Roger is playing keyboards on these songs - and I seriously doubt he'll be the one at the keyboard for a released version. The songs are musically very simplistic, and I think thats because they are just demos.

I dont remember who posted the comment about Roger bashing the USA. While I agree that anti-USA songs really suck, who in here can say they honestly didnt see this coming? Roger has been writing songs against war for as long as I can remember. Its ironic that he's chosen to take up at least semi-permanent residence in this shithole of a country tho (Long Island, NY) :wink:

ALB[/quote]
mblostchord
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mblostchord »

I agree, Diablo, that our choices this time are sad. But one point I'd like to make on this election: When our soldiers come back to civilian life, they'll see for themselves that Bush has screwed up this country and divided it on domestic issues.

I don't care for a party that believes the only celebrities (actors or musicians) who have the right to speak out politically are country music Bush-supporters or Hollywood career-less actors like Ron Silver.

I'm happy people like Roger Waters, even though he's British, stand up and point out the lunatics on the grass in the 21st century. Sometimes an outside perspective is helpful.

Cheer up Diablo! It's not personal... it's only politics. And isn't that what God wants according to Roger? I don't know.
diablo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by diablo »

mblostchord wrote:I agree, Diablo, that our choices this time are sad. But one point I'd like to make on this election: When our soldiers come back to civilian life, they'll see for themselves that Bush has screwed up this country and divided it on domestic issues.

I don't care for a party that believes the only celebrities (actors or musicians) who have the right to speak out politically are country music Bush-supporters or Hollywood career-less actors like Ron Silver.

I'm happy people like Roger Waters, even though he's British, stand up and point out the lunatics on the grass in the 21st century. Sometimes an outside perspective is helpful.

Cheer up Diablo! It's not personal... it's only politics. And isn't that what God wants according to Roger? I don't know.
Yeah, I wish celebs would do what they do best be it acting singing or whatever it may be. Stop useing the spotlight when accepting an award to voice support for whoever it may be they like. I know one that comes to mind(im not going to mention any names but it rhymes with Michael Moore). The celebs who do this really tick me off. They should do like Arnold did run for office and try to make a differance instead of flapping there gums every time the camera gets in there face. Im so fed up with it.

As far as Rog goes Im fed up with his music. Same ol same ol. He has so much talent but he still is useing black girls screaming like they just broke there leg. Same bass lines. His so called rap crap(how many times has he done that?) I dont know i was just hoping he would change just a tad. I would love to hear another song like Sunset Strip. Get back to rock and roll. Guess I will put on my Animals cd and remember the good ol days.
tempest
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tempest »

As a veteran of the USARMY I applaud Mr. Waters for making his voice heard. Civilians shall never know the horrors of war unless they actually participate or are victims. It truly sucks when you are 18 and given an M-16 and told to fire at others your age. I have had personal contact with known terrorists through my time stationed in Germany. I will never forget the look in their eyes. It was like staring into a blackhole filled with hate. The war should be against the terrorists, not the innocents.
As a veteran I salute Mr. waters.
Stay Free.
moreblues
Knife
Knife

Post by moreblues »

tempest wrote: As a veteran of the USARMY I applaud Mr. Waters....... .....It truly sucks when you are 18 and given an M-16 and told to fire at others your age.........
i think this post is important, non of us can completely understand the horrors of war unless we actually be there, probably some kids who go to war think of it as some sort of having fun, some cowboys wouldn't mind shooting others and think it is thrilling just like a live video game, but others will have to face this moral dilemma of having to shoot real people.
i myself don't know how i'd have reacted if i were in the military and had to carry a gun and use it to kill, to take a life and specially when the cause is not 100% "interest free" i mean when there is any sort of suspician that it is immoral, you are not out there in iraq to defend your country from an invasion are you, i wonder how this fighter jet pilots deal with killing hundreds of civilians in one moment (does the recoil remind them, of sex?) maybe for some but i'm sure a lot of them will be psychologically scarred for the rest of their lives and will have nightmare of those maimed children they made, so if it is not for defending your country then why?
tempest
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tempest »

diablo wrote: As far as Rog goes Im fed up with his music. Same ol same ol. He has so much talent but he still is useing black girls screaming like they just broke there leg. Same bass lines. His so called rap crap(how many times has he done that?) I dont know i was just hoping he would change just a tad. I would love to hear another song like Sunset Strip. Get back to rock and roll. Guess I will put on my Animals cd and remember the good ol days.
May I remind you that Pink Floyd started out playing the Blues? I think it is safe to say Roger is just sticking to his roots by utilising female singers of color. Also I do not consider his style of singing any way near rap. I feel he is also sticking to his roots by emulating an idol of his by the name of Bob Dylan. Would you consider Dylan a rapper? Lastly I would like to clarify the issue of his voicing his political views. Need I have to remind you of Woodstock or any of the great 60's performers who made their voice heard? Or the words of John Lennon? I feel Roger is truly sticking to his roots and I applaud him for keeping the 60's spirit alive. I do not wish to offend with these words, I am only voicing my opinion which is everyone's right, and I might add I truly respect yours even if I do not personally agree with it.
Stay Free.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Interesting to hear. With the other "demos" of recent years and ESC from ITF, it seems the full blown production of a whole album could be quite good. Certainly "typical", I still don't mind the girls...listen to them on give birth to a smile :D

American election you say? Pay for download? Politics?God wants a good laugh?So the laddie rekcons himself a poet eh? Rubbish, absolute rubish. HAHAHAHAHAHA

sole has no eyes :shock:
diablo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by diablo »

tempest wrote:
diablo wrote: As far as Rog goes Im fed up with his music. Same ol same ol. He has so much talent but he still is useing black girls screaming like they just broke there leg. Same bass lines. His so called rap crap(how many times has he done that?) I dont know i was just hoping he would change just a tad. I would love to hear another song like Sunset Strip. Get back to rock and roll. Guess I will put on my Animals cd and remember the good ol days.
May I remind you that Pink Floyd started out playing the Blues? I think it is safe to say Roger is just sticking to his roots by utilising female singers of color. Also I do not consider his style of singing any way near rap. I feel he is also sticking to his roots by emulating an idol of his by the name of Bob Dylan. Would you consider Dylan a rapper? Lastly I would like to clarify the issue of his voicing his political views. Need I have to remind you of Woodstock or any of the great 60's performers who made their voice heard? Or the words of John Lennon? I feel Roger is truly sticking to his roots and I applaud him for keeping the 60's spirit alive. I do not wish to offend with these words, I am only voicing my opinion which is everyone's right, and I might add I truly respect yours even if I do not personally agree with it.
Stay Free.
I understand what you are saying and respect your views 100%. I was just hoping for a sound that I dont guess we will ever hear from him again. But there is always hope!!! As I said before he has so much talent I would just love to hear one good honest from the heart kick ass rock and roll song. With the political circus that is going on now and all the celebs acting like they are running for office that was the last thing
I wanted to hear from my "idol". They are his feelings and his right. I will leave it at that. :D
diablo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by diablo »

tempest wrote:As a veteran of the USARMY I applaud Mr. Waters for making his voice heard. Civilians shall never know the horrors of war unless they actually participate or are victims. It truly sucks when you are 18 and given an M-16 and told to fire at others your age. I have had personal contact with known terrorists through my time stationed in Germany. I will never forget the look in their eyes. It was like staring into a blackhole filled with hate. The war should be against the terrorists, not the innocents.
As a veteran I salute Mr. waters.
Stay Free.
You have made a very important point. I have not been there and could not even imagine what it must be like for our armed forces. I make it a point every time I meet a veteran to shake his or her hand and say thank you. I would do the same if you were here in front of me now. I cant shake your hand but I can and will say thank you from the bottom of my heart for keeping me safe and free. This is the greatest country in the world and will always be because of people like you. For whoever reads this please do the same for this person. He is one of the many millions of heroes in the armed forces thats name will never get on the news or in the morning paper but we all know they are there 365 days a year to keep us free. may God be with you all.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by J Ed »

while you guys argue politics,
I looked up the two names referenced in Leaving Beirut
cuz I didnt recognize them and I bet a few other folks didnt either

Atticus Finch is a fictional character,
the lawyer played by Gregory Peck in "To Kill A Mockingbird"
I've never seen this film, but apparently he defends an innocent black man from an unjustified rape charge in a prejudiced Southern court room, and judging by some of the websites I found is a fictional icon to aspiring lawyers and civil rights activists
here's his closing summary from the film:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSp ... gbird.html

Jane Russell was a movie actress known for two things, so to speak
hired by billionaire Howard Hughes at age 19 to star in "The Outlaw"
the film was withheld by censors because of the cameras continual focus on her chest (this was 1941!)
and her career was manipulated by Hughes for years while he tried to get the flop film distributed, squandering her career as an actress
http://www.geocities.com/dennyjackson.g ... /russ1.jpg

scholarly J Ed
moreblues
Knife
Knife

Post by moreblues »

good job J Ed, i kept wondering who the hell were finch and russel and was about to post this question but didn't want to look like an ignorant (thinking they were popular people).
the finch story makes a lot of sense in the song but what about the russel girl? how does her story relate to the song? does rog mean to say that america has girls with nice breasts?
(from the picture she looks quite alright and i think this sensorship thing was stupid).