go grab 2 free Roger songs

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Do you like the two new songs?

Yes
61%
They are okay
15%
No
24%

Total votes: 66

gilesfordcrush
Axe
Axe

Post by gilesfordcrush »

I like Leaving Beirut, the lyrics are good in the song, and the monologue about the monoped does help, but the musical part is excellent - more please Roger.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:Is it just me, or is the sound of these very evocative of mid 70s Bowie? Roger's voice, since KAOS even, but especially in ATD has had this very Bowie sound to it ....

I forgot you wrote this and wanted to ask
do you mean the ballads on Young Americans and Station to Station?
esp Young Americans, where Bowie was trying for a sound sort of like that of the O'Jays, I believe
the arrangements are a bit similar, with the backing vox. and horn sections, but Roger doesnt even approach Bowie's vocal range: I could never imagine Roger attempting "Wild Is the Wind" for example

J Ed
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

J Ed wrote:
Pugs on the Wing wrote:Is it just me, or is the sound of these very evocative of mid 70s Bowie? Roger's voice, since KAOS even, but especially in ATD has had this very Bowie sound to it ....

I forgot you wrote this and wanted to ask
do you mean the ballads on Young Americans and Station to Station?
esp Young Americans, where Bowie was trying for a sound sort of like that of the O'Jays, I believe
the arrangements are a bit similar, with the backing vox. and horn sections, but Roger doesnt even approach Bowie's vocal range: I could never imagine Roger attempting "Wild Is the Wind" for example

J Ed
Yes, those are the ones!

The backing vocals especially, and I know Bowie's vocal range is greater, but there's something about the sound of his voice...timbre? Not being that knowledgeable about the vocabulary of music, it's hard to express what I mean...I can hear it, but can't really describe it.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Pugs on the Wing wrote: The backing vocals especially, and I know Bowie's vocal range is greater, but there's something about the sound of his voice...timbre?

thats actually my favourite period of Bowie
with the exception of alltime fave LP Alladin Sane, I prefer the late70s Carlos Alomar-led "eurofunk" band to the early70 Mick Ronson-led "glamrock" band

I do know around that point is when Bowie began singing from his belly instead of his throat
so Ziggy Stardust for EG he uses a distinctively nasal trebly vocal style, whereas starting with the records we're discussing, he sings from his belly and has gained a much lower range that he uses quite effectively!
I have a VoIO of a 78 concert and what I notice is his posture is almost like that of a martial artist, especially as he soars from lower to higher registers in a single line of a song

re Roger, I can imagine him wishing he could belt it out to the back rows in that manner!
esp. thinking of the song-and-dance moves that he starts doing in his In The Flesh DVD, he likes to ham it up

Gilmour may have a pleasanter singing style, but I dont think he ever really aspires to that type of performance, but I think Rog would if he could

J Ed
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

Very nice music. Roger's not standing still at all.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

I thought both songs were weak musically and the alot of the lyrics were pretty clumsy and bland. That's how I felt anyway.

fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

hmmm, im listening to "TO KILL A CHILD" and the rogers vocals are terrible. its like he's rapping!!! ewww
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

I thought both had a Malcolm McLaren feel.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

they both sound really dated & like other people's old songs
To kill a child is ok (except for Roger's actual singing) but the lyrics are bad. Leaving Beruit works better read as a short story/poem - the main part is good writing but the sung parts have some realy obvious jibes.
billee
Embryo
Embryo

Post by billee »

I honestly think this is some of the worst stuff he's done.

Granted I've only listened to them once each, I just haven't been able to make myself give them another listen. Leaving Beirut was one of the most boring things I've ever heard.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

I have to agree with recent comments. I LOVE Roger Waters but I HATE these songs. Honestly I'd shoot myself before I'd listen to an entire album of this. I dont mean to offend anyone this is just my honest opinion of the two tracks.