Genius

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Genius

Post by David Smith »

Ok, this is NOT a dig at Syd, i'm just wondering why he's so commonly referred to as a genius. Is it his lyrics? Is it his voice? His guitar style? What? To me he just seems like a crazy guy who released a few good albums, lunatics aren't geniuses.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Well, I think the word "genius" is probably over used a bit. I can't really think of any entertainer that I would call a genius. Syd had his own style, but then again so did a million other people. I think like Elvis and the Beatles, he was at the right place at the right time. People were ready for a change or something different, and he was there. His childlike lyrics were what really set him apart from others.
Otimist@ *
Embryo
Embryo

The Lunatic is on the grass

Post by Otimist@ * »

Hello there, I'm sorry for Syd's fans, but I can't see anything 'genious' in him. He's just another rock guy. I think wether he was even 'special', he wouldn't need to use any drugs like LDS. It've put him down! No drugs! Drugs crushd the body! Crushd the heart! Crushd the mind... In fact, his songs are cool, but his thoughts maybe... My apologies to all ill Barret's fans, but I think I just said what is true. Or I've lied?
Listen to music, but don't use drugs! That's my thought!
Love and peace for you reading this message! :roll:

VRC
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Syd is more a mythological character for me and was extremely creative in his ability to write about the world how he saw if from his eyes. His view was his genious to me but still he is more a mythological character for me. I like that. :lol:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I think its more the legend growing over the years that has made him into almost a mythical figure. Back in the day he was, maybe, an above average musician, who tried alot of different things. And over the years he has grown if you will.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

bong wrote:I think its more the legend growing over the years that has made him into almost a mythical figure. Back in the day he was, maybe, an above average musician, who tried alot of different things. And over the years he has grown if you will.
sort of like Mr. T
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I think that Roger Waters, David Gilmour, John Lennon, and Paul McCartney are the only musicians I can easily call geniuses. i cant call Syd one, i dont even really like his music, except Jugband Blues
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Genius? Maybe, maybe not, but he was(/is?) a damn cool weirdo! :D
Otimist@ *
Embryo
Embryo

Syd - The unknown mind

Post by Otimist@ * »

I really don't know... Sometimes he seems cool, another he looks like a clown, a wizard, a poor man, etc... Is he an actor or a musician? Or maybe he's either? It does not mean, he is surely a weirdo!!! :P

"That cat is something I can't explain" - What Syd means in Lucifer San Music? :twisted:
I really don't understand... Anybody can explain me? Was Syd one of Lucifer's friend?

Well, Syd Barret is such a historyc character who soon will be forget in the time... Already through these days he isn't so remembered. Just a few of fans will have him in the mind to the future /

I wish health to Syd and I hope he's happy this time! :o

See all you there...

VRC