Drug References in "Time"?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
moey
Embryo
Embryo

Drug References in "Time"?

Post by moey »

hello all! A friend of mine and I have an ongoing discussion regarding the song "Time" from DSotM. He interprets the song as being about drugs, but I severely disagree with him by drawing from my knowledge of the band's history, particularly Waters' since he wrote the lyrics. Sure, one could interpret the lyrics as being about drugs, but do you think that's what Waters intended? I don't think so at all, but I thought it was worth discussion... I'm curious as to what proof anyone can offer me to argue either side. feedback is appreciated 8)
djproject
Axe
Axe

Time

Post by djproject »

It's the idea of no matter what you do now, you can never do enough. So much in short time. And plus you end up making mostly stupid choices as oppose to worthwhile ones like helping others or knowing about God or something. It's usually work and trying to get ahead.

That's if you interpret the song literally by looking at the lyrics at face value as well as connecting it with the other lyrics. As far as the drugs connection... the only one I can think of is "and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking" as being an acid experience. "Half a page of scribbled lines" could also be a veiled reference to Syd who was really messed up on acid and the result of incomprehensibility.

Interesting idea but I don't see it (the drugs thing)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Moey,

your friend probably also thinks that DSoTM is the sound track for the wizard of Oz as well, but in his defence the great gig in the sky is like coming down off a bad trip.
Floyd in Texas
Embryo
Embryo

Time

Post by Floyd in Texas »

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town,
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

This album has been kicking around for me for almost 30 years and yes, there could be some truth to the very shaded drug references.

And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you,
No one told you where to run, you missed the starting gun.

I was listening to this once in 1983, and when I heard that line, I thought to myself, DAMN, ten years have gone without really realizing it, and I was just as lost as when I first heard it. It still creeps me out to hear it.

Larry
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

drafsack wrote:Moey,

your friend probably also thinks that DSoTM is the sound track for the wizard of Oz as well, but in his defence the great gig in the sky is like coming down off a bad trip.
HAHAHAHA.... brillantly put me brother. Now you are in the right :lol:
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

there are songs that have many interpretations, not just one...it depends on your background and live experience....for one guy it can be about drugs, for another guy it can be about how life really is....
PowR TocH
Blade
Blade

Post by PowR TocH »

For me personally the song is about "Life race" words "and you run and run to catch up with the sun" regardsin my opinion to our lifestyle, we are living fast without even thinking about the time "and then one day you (we) find 10 years have got behind".