What if Waters/Wright hadnt left the band?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

What if Waters/Wright hadnt left the band?

Post by MoreOrLess »

What do you think would have happened if somehow after the wall everything was patched up personally and the band had carried on as a 4 peice into the 80's/90's? What would the albums have been like? What would the shows have been like? and would they have been more or less sucessful?
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What if Waters/Wright hadnt left the band?

Post by bong »

MoreOrLess wrote:What do you think would have happened if somehow after the wall everything was patched up personally and the band had carried on as a 4 peice into the 80's/90's? What would the albums have been like? What would the shows have been like? and would they have been more or less sucessful?
Roger Waters would have gone crazy and Rick would have died of a Coke overdose.
mosespa

Re: What if Waters/Wright hadnt left the band?

Post by mosespa »

MoreOrLess wrote:What do you think would have happened if somehow after the wall everything was patched up personally and the band had carried on as a 4 peice into the 80's/90's? What would the albums have been like? What would the shows have been like? and would they have been more or less sucessful?

I don't think it would have happened. Even putting aside the animosity, I think that The Wall was Roger's way of saying "goodbye" to everything that Pink Floyd represented to him. There is NO way that show could have been topped.

Don't get me wrong...I really think you have an interesting idea for a topic here, and I don't want to discourage you from posting further, but there's no way at all that the four would or could have continued as Pink Floyd after the point at which they stopped.

It would have been impossible.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

I don't think it would have happened. Even putting aside the animosity, I think that The Wall was Roger's way of saying "goodbye" to everything that Pink Floyd represented to him. There is NO way that show could have been topped.
Well they did carry on post wall didnt they with the final cut. They had made all there money back with the wall so they really didnt need to carry on for anything but the music. From what iv heard Gilmour pretty much agreed to give Waters total control of TFC in return for the next floyd album being a more collaborative effort. Thought I think by the end of the recording process he knew there wasnt going to be another record with Waters henth his second solo album.

The reason I brought this up was I genuinaly believe that the band could have gone on to create decent music. You just have to look at what they've released since to see that Gilmour and Waters need each other to produce their best music. Waters solo albums have been both conceptually and lyrically strong but musically weak while Gilmours floyd have been almost the direct oposite.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

well, hey, if Roger did stay with the rest, at least The Wall Live in Berlin wouldnt have taken place.

hmm, maybe it still would have - but at least it might have been better.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Well, it was impossible... Roger and Dave hated (and still do) each other. Dave and Rick said that Roger was a dictator, Roger is out there saying that Dave stole the name Pink Floyd... hmmm, but OK, let's dream...

1984: Gilmour's 2nd solo album: "About Face" (yes, in this alternate universe, this album was made too!!)

1985: Gilmour, Waters and Wright make peace with each other... Rick back to the band!!!

1986: Recording sessions for the next Pink Floyd album...

1987: After the discard of some Gilmour's songs, the new Floyd album comes out, it's called: "The pros and cons of hitch hiking". Then, a huge World Tour...

1988: The band still in tour... Dave take time to record his 3rd solo album, using the songs that Roger discarded for The Pros and Cons...

1989: The 3rd Gilmour's solo album comes out: "A Momentary Lapse of Reason". Guest musicians: Nick Mason (some drumming), and Rick Wright (some keyboarding)...

1990: Dave finally convinces Roger to make more money!!: a 2CDs live album comes out: "Delicate Sound of Hitch Hiking"!!

1991: The band rests. Roger buys another mansion for his wife. Dave gives all his royalties to save the whales. Rick goes sailing the world and have to be hospitalized for Coke overdose. Nick takes his car and goes into the Paris-Dakar rally.

1992: The band gathers to make the next Floyd album. Roger has a new concept to make. Dave says to Rolling Stone: "I believe that now my songs will be considered... I've wrote some with my new girlfriend..."

1993: The new Pink FLoyd album, "Radio K.A.O.S.", is released. Again, no Gilmour songs. No tour this time. Roger is tired.

1994: Dave takes his songs and releases his 4th solo album: "The Division Bell". Guest musicians: Mason and Wright.

1995: Roger accepts to go on touring (Dave was out of money).

1996: Rest. Again, Rick suffers a Coke overdose, Dave spents all his money making a huge gift to his new wife, Roger buys ANOTHER mansion for his wife, and Nick gets lost in the Sahara desert.

1997: Roger take some old songs he had, inspired on the Gulf War. He remakes them, and call the others. They gather to record. This time, Dave have no songs to offer.

1998: The new album comes out, it's name... "Amused to Death". They go on tour.

1999: Dave needs money again!!, so, a new 2 CDs Live album comes out: "A.M.U.S.E.D."

2000: "Is There Anybody out There?, The Wall Live" comes out (it had to happen!!)

2002: "Flickering Flame, The Best of Pink Floyd" comes out.

Well, for 2003.. who knows??, they say that Dave is proposing Roger to make a DVD and an Unplugged show...

Well, a brilliant future...

"All the events here are purely fictional..."
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Stilgar, I do believe you've got it! :lol: :D :wink: :wink:

I do love those emoticons.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

very intersting.... :-k
smarvel
Embryo
Embryo

Post by smarvel »

I'm in agreement, Stigler, my boy, You've got it!! :D :D :D
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Stigs, very nice! Made me laugh, cry, and I think I soiled myself somewhere in between. What if... okay I'm coming from Alternate Universe #312 here but, what if the whole Dave + Roger fued is a hoax to plan the BIGGEST reunion ever created by man kind. And all these years they were just playing the roles of bad friends. And they secretly worked with each other on their solo albums: About Face + Pro's and Con's of Hitch Hiking. Both came out in 84. Roger's cover has the infamous naked hitch hiker, putting her thumb out to the left. On Daves cover its him pointing his thumb out to the right, is he 'hitch hiking?'. They both were under Columbia. They both were released by Michael Kamen, they both used Ray Cooper as the percussionist with the National Philharmonic Orchestra, both engineered by Andrew Jackson, both mastered by Mick Reese and Doug Sax. Call me crazy... but... ;)
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

what if pigs had wings?

Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

This is what would happen:

We would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain.
Wondering which of the buggars to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Stigs, very nice! Made me laugh, cry, and I think I soiled myself somewhere in between. What if... okay I'm coming from Alternate Universe #312 here but, what if the whole Dave + Roger fued is a hoax to plan the BIGGEST reunion ever created by man kind. And all these years they were just playing the roles of bad friends. And they secretly worked with each other on their solo albums: About Face + Pro's and Con's of Hitch Hiking. Both came out in 84. Roger's cover has the infamous naked hitch hiker, putting her thumb out to the left. On Daves cover its him pointing his thumb out to the right, is he 'hitch hiking?'. They both were under Columbia. They both were released by Michael Kamen, they both used Ray Cooper as the percussionist with the National Philharmonic Orchestra, both engineered by Andrew Jackson, both mastered by Mick Reese and Doug Sax. Call me crazy... but...

That would indeed be the BIGGEST reunion ever! And a welcome reunion at that!
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I think Stilgar is right. Roger had too much influence on the music on The Wall and The Final Cut. I think they're beautifull but the other members of the band had hardly any influence on the songs. With Division Bell it's no different: hardly any Nick or Rick.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I think it would have been interesting to see Pros and Cons, KAOS, and other work that was done seperately, presented as colaborations. Sure, Roger wouldn't have allowed major changes, but at least it would be "the boys" working on it, instead of all the seperate things that fell short of what we all came to love.