the movies or tv shows that pf was mentioned in.

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
riders of fury
Blade
Blade

Post by riders of fury »

If it counts, in the movie Ice Storm where Elijah Wood is teaching this Sandy Carver character geometry, there's a huge Dark Side of the Moon poster on the wall behind Wood.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

On one episode of "Ace Ventura pet detective" he winds up in an explosion or something, and flies through the air, psychedelic background and all, and says "hey I didn't know Pink Floyd were touring again"...
[Jon]
Knife
Knife

Re: the movies or tv shows that pf was mentioned in.

Post by [Jon] »

gilmour's girl wrote:3-the simpsons(when homer decided to become a hippie with his mother hippie friends and these guys had a juice factory and Homer wanted to help them,then he found a little garden where the hippies grew weed,so he put that weed into the factory,then people drank it and they got stoned,and homer's neighbour was in his car and the traffic light was red and he started seeing the marching hammers of another brick in the wall instead of the walking people. hahah that was awesome i laughed like a crazy :lol:
What's the name of the episode?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

It's called Dohing In The Wind
floydbabe
Blade
Blade

Post by floydbabe »

I saw an episode of Switched (American thing, people switch lives for a couple of days) and this one girl had a huge DSOTM poster on her wall :D Cool.
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

another simpsons one, when homer is a teenager he has this huge darkside of the moon poster in his room, it shows it in the 'mr.plow' episode
floydbabe
Blade
Blade

Post by floydbabe »

Wow! I've seen the Mr Plow episode loads of times, I can't believe I didn't notice!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Homers a fan of 70s stadium rock,
the music of his youth
generally the cruder the better, Floyd's almost too hi-brow for him
but for an aging child of the 70s like Homer,
a Dark Side poster would be a necesity

I like the one where BTO's playing in Springfield
and the audience shouts them down for playing a song off their new album
so they play their old 70s hit Taking Care of Business
and homer shouts out "get to part about working overtime"
so they cut straight to the chorus

Homer did attend Woodstock as a toddler,
so I'm confused as to precisely how old he is

J Ed
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Saw the x files episode with Syd Barret last night. Oh my god, it is an absolute piece of shit. What a fucking dire piece of shit that only goes to confirm for me the fall of a once great show... Bastards losing intergrity and going after the mighty dollar rather than wanting to even give an audience something to think about and be thrightend off. You want to see scary monsters then look no further than the big wigs at fox that said 'yeah a 9th fucking series without mulder will be a good idea'

Fuck!

Anyway, yeah there's an episode in series 9 entitled Lord Of The Flies that is a load of crap about a kid that controls flies because get this... He is partly bug on his mum's side (don't ask how that worked) and well, he kills people with his flies because of his teen angst making them work with his hormones.

It's almost as much fun as listening to your dad tell a story that starts with 'you know, when i first met your mother...' but aside from that it does have more than a few barret references with the kid having a room filled with syd posters, a tshirt and even talks about him in a scene reffering to him as 'a really genius guy that nobody understood' or something and even listens to the songs Terapin and No Use Trying...

However, it is NOT really worth downloading or anything unless you REALLY want to see some syd related tv, although i will warn you again, it's a load of pish
bmet
Knife
Knife

RE:WKRP episode and Jodie Foster on SNL

Post by bmet »

The funny thing about that WKRP episode is that:

1)It's suppose to be an AM pop station
2)Dr. Johnny Feaver's show takes place in the Morning.(Can you image playing Dogs on early morning AM radio when you're suppose to be energetic and get listeners up for the workday!?)
3)I like when Mr. Carlson asks what Pigs 3DO's is all about and Feaver
quietly snarles "I don't do requests!"

Also,When Jodie Foster hosted Saturday Night Live in the late 70's she made reference to Pink Floyd in a sketch with her on the phone talking to a friend.The dialogue went something like: "Oh yeah,Pink Floyd..a classic band.Remember that album Dark Side of the Moon?...."
She used to live within sight of "The Hollywood Bowl" in the early 70's,which makes me envious that she saw and/or heard the Floyd's famous September 1972 concert at the Bowl!!! :x
stranger at home
Axe
Axe

Post by stranger at home »

A few years ago on Late NIght with Conan O'Brien, they did a parody sketch on Eminem's grammy song or something, with a really old actor (Abe Vigoda from the Barney Miller show in the '70's) and a crowd of really old actors following him up and down the aisles singing "We Don't Need no Education"....Hilarious!
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

Britain's Favourite Number One on Channel 5 (UK) yesterday:

Roger Taylor appeared, speaking about certain tracks. Behind him was a large framed print of the Animals cover.

Incidentally, Bohemian Crapsody came top. ABITWP2 came 23rd.
coombecumber
Embryo
Embryo

top gear

Post by coombecumber »

Of course there was that episode of Top Gear a while ago where they borrowed Nick Mason's car and stuck in loads of Floyd references. That was great!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

ooh ooh I just remembered another one. There was a round in the UK Whose Line Is It Anyway? where they could only talk in song titles, I cant remember who said it, chances are it was either Ryan Stiles, Greg Proops or Colin Mochery (sp?) but it went....

guy 1: ''Shine On You Crazy Diamond''
guy 2: ''Like A Virgin''

Ive got it on video somewhere, god knows what the chances of finding it are tho, Ive got tonnes of episodes of it on tape.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

here's one that came up last summer!
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaben
http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... php?t=4480

someone thought all the clocks in the film were a Floyd reference, which i doubt
but J K Rowling did make a Pink Floyd reference in a press release
relating to the scene where Harry's aunt blows up like a blimp
cuz they actually had a aunt-shaped blimp outside the premiere!
http://www.jkrowling.co.uk/textonly/news_view.cfm?id=76

J Ed