Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

In The Studio

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Pink Floyd in the Studio
by Marcus Hearn

Synopsis
A complete account of every recording made by Pink Floyd, from their inception up to the end of 1999. Marcus Hearn has gained access to the archives of Abbey Road studios, where the bulk of their recordings were made, revealing details and dates of sessions.

Oh. My. Goodness. Me.

Does anyone have this book? If it purports to be what it purports to be, then I must have it! Available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 51-8004430

:shock:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

On the link i found a book called "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters. Is this a misprint or did he also release a book named that?
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

That studio book could be great! Never heard of it. Is this the same guy that put out the studio exploits of the Beatles from the beginning to the end? I have seen the Beatles one and it is great. I would like the PF one if it is half as good.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

A guy called Mark Lewisohn wrote The Complete Beatles Chronicle. It's my favourite book. Ever. I read it on a daily basis. Not really. :| It's a great book. Pity he gets George Harrison's birth date wrong, though (it's the 24th not the 25th!).
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:On the link i found a book called "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters. Is this a misprint or did he also release a book named that?

It's the songbook.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Damn it, why would anyone pay for a book of lyrics when they're in the msnual anyway?

Unless he decided to write a book of basslines, which would make a lot more sense.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:Damn it, why would anyone pay for a book of lyrics when they're in the msnual anyway?

Unless he decided to write a book of basslines, which would make a lot more sense.

It's not just the lyrics, it's the songs written out in musical notation...If I guess right (since I can't really make out the fine print on the cover) it's written out for piano and guitar (chords if not tab.)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

And roger gets credit for writing it?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

David Smith wrote:And roger gets credit for writing it?
What, should David Gilmour get credit for writing it too?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

So Roger wrote the piano and guitar pieces of ATD? I doubt it somehow.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

He wrote the bloody songs.

I could play some of them on the sax if I heard the songs on guitar or piano first. It doesn't mean I actually wrote the song simply because I can play it on the sax and the guy who wrote the actual song can't.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, he wrote the lyrics, but why do you buy a book like that? To learn to play the songs. Sfterall, if it was just to learnt eh lyrics then you're a bit thick seeing as they're in the manual.

Now to buy it for playing on the piano would it not be better to see the name of the guy who wrote the piano for it? Afterall, Roger isn't a one man band and by saying he wrote all the MUSIC for ATD he's not giving credit where credit's due.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Gee, so D_ick Parry should get credit for writing Money because of his sax solo? Give me a break, Dave.

Roger wrote the music and lyrics to all of the songs. It is known who played what on each recording. Because someone plays the piano, for example, on a recording doesn't mean they should get credit for writing the song with whoever did indeed write it. They didn't write anything of the song itself.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

If the book has basslines then he should get credit, but if it's a piano book he shouldn't.

If DSOTM came out as a saxophone book, then i would expect it to say, DSOTM by Pink Floyd, book written by Dick Parry.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN!! LETS NOT GET TOO OBSESSIVE ABOUT THIS!
I have to disagree with you david, roger obviously came up with the chords to the songs as he was writing them,thats what you do when you write songs( i should know.i write myself from time to time),so i think roger should get the main credits for the album and the other musicians
get the recognition they deserve for their input and embellishments to the songs.END OF STORY!! :D