Rough cuts

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Syd Barrett...

is a genius
56%
is odd but appealing
17%
sounds like sandpaper
No votes
is all of the above
17%
has nice eyes
11%

Total votes: 18

Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Rough cuts

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

The first time I heard Syd Barrett I thought he was appalling. :? His music sounded like splinters; rough, jagged, hewn from sandpaper. :| That was c. 1997, listening to Crazy Diamond. What's the big deal? Years pass. Oh right. Gotcha. Yeah. :) Rough, jagged :shock:, then intimate. Thankyouverymuch. :wink:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Syd is an odd and appealing genius with nice eyes, but there wasn't an option for that. :wink:
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Syd was the reason i got into floyd in 1967. He is a genius who strayed to the outer limits and, i am afraid, was never able to quite get back home.
there is nothing more i can say other than my signature:
kaya
Axe
Axe

Post by kaya »

his eyes are so beautiful!! :)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Syd Barrett (in his day) was the most beautiful man to have ever graced this earth. That's my opinion anyway. Also Jimmy Page...and hey, Davild Gilmour wasn't too shabby either...but Syd had this smoldering sensuality that would not could not quit. Marc Bolan had that too. (Love those British ones, I do.)

I was a rather odd teenager, I guess. Instead of posters of whoever the teenybopper flavor of the month was at the time, my walls were covered with all these hot (again...in their day) rockers from the 60s and 70s who were old enough to be my grandfather. Haha. A nice poster of Jimmy Page was on my ceiling, I remember being 15 and lying in bed listening to "Physical Graffiti" and staring for hours at this silly poster, obsessing over who this brooding man REALLY was and so on. Ah, those were the days.

::Steps back down onto planet earth.::
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:(Love those British ones, I do.)

I was a rather odd teenager, I guess. Instead of posters of whoever the teenybopper flavor of the month was at the time, my walls were covered with all these hot (again...in their day) rockers from the 60s and 70s who were old enough to be my grandfather. Haha
This so much reminds me of myself, except they were old enough to be my uh...um...older cousin (that's how much of an old git I am). Yes, it was always the British ones too (Beatles, Kinks, Who, Stones...etc.). Friends from high school thought I was odd because they were into 1970s American pop tv culture (eeew) and I was discovering the 60s British Invasion...Funny thing though, I never knew much about Floyd from that era back then...it took a very, very long path in my musical appreciation to come back to them and deeply discover what I'd neglected in my youth; I guess I was saving it for my old age...hah. But I've always said that the music has to find you at the right time as opposed to you finding it.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Mother wrote:...music has to find you at the right time as opposed to you finding it.
Deafinitely (sic). If I'd have listened to King Crimson three years ago I probably would have killed myself. :lol:
kaya
Axe
Axe

Post by kaya »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote: I was a rather odd teenager, I guess. Instead of posters of whoever the teenybopper flavor of the month was at the time, my walls were covered with all these hot (again...in their day) rockers from the 60s and 70s who were old enough to be my grandfather. Haha.
::Steps back down onto planet earth.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? i'm 18 and i also have posters like that all over my walls. :D :D
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

kaya wrote: ARE YOU SERIOUS? i'm 18 and i also have posters like that all over my walls. :D :D
Haha, you rock. ;) I got a lot of crap in high school because I was wearing Zeppelin and Floyd shirts, while everyone else was wearing New Kids on the Block or whatever.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Hey, 'Hangin' Tough' is a classic. :wink: :wink: :wink:
kaya
Axe
Axe

Post by kaya »

i am (un)fortunately not from NKOTB era. i am more THAKE THAT era. haha. :D
but, yea, i know what you mean, SMGirl, my schoolmates are looking at me weird, too.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote: Haha, you rock. ;) I got a lot of crap in high school because I was wearing Zeppelin and Floyd shirts, while everyone else was wearing New Kids on the Block or whatever.

Sounds like you are a lot closer to my age than I had thought...When I was a senior in high school (1989) I wore a lot of G&R and Springsteen T-shirts...I think I only had one Rush.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I waer Pink Floyd shirts all the time, i used to have a who one, but i dare not wear that nowadays.

Someone was arguing today cause they saw my shirt. I asked him "would you like Nirvana (his band of choice) if Boy George was the singer? Even if they still sounded exactly the same."

He said "no"

I tell him that i would love pink floyd no matter who the singer was, his couce of band was purely based upon their image rather than their meaning and music.

He stopped, told me to p*ss off (in the usual way you do when you've lost an argument) and stormed off.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

SYD ROCKS!!!!!
Zepeleptic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Zepeleptic »

I have the sad disappointment to be in High School at this time. I am a huge Barrett fan and there is only one other person in the entire high school with the same musical appreciation as myself. People say i should have been born earlier. If only... If only....