DGinQ!

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

If someone hears a song on the radio that offends them, they should turn off the radio or tune into another station. Nobody is forcing them to listen.

Obviously it was going too far.

Still, you would think On The Run would have been banned. Listen to the plane crash and burn after the line "Live for today, gone tomorrow...That's me! HaHaHaaa!" and tell me that would not have freaked out quite a few people. Sure, On The Run is not played frequently on radio, but still...

Imagine if someone had played Towers Of Faith ("And in New York City...") on the radio immediately after the attacks. Yikes.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Weren't some songs banned too during the last Gulf War too? Anyone got that list (although many of them are the same as in that 11.9 list)?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

ROD STEWART - Sailing
:lol: :lol: (sorry) :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

kjnpf wrote:Just as a side point, do you think they will drop the bomb? :)
:D

I hope not, but I think they'll try and break his b*lls.

----

Clearchannel stinks. Fascism by a corporate capitalistic monopoly. Can you beat that? Seems that's where we're headed...freedom from choice.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Mother, should I trust the government?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Mother, should I trust the government?
No, but it looks like you've built a wall. :wink:
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

[code][/code][b]I Can understand Donny Osmand. YUCK!!!!![/b]
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, so the song Mother may offend people after september the 11th? Why? It was written 22 years before and isn't actually written about the twin towers falling. That's an example of a government that tries to over protect people, by censoring a song because it uses the word bomb.

And Primal Scream can still do a song named Bomb The Pentagon, yet Mother can't be played. I don't understand it.
Last edited by David Smith on Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

David Smith wrote:That's an example of a government that tries to over protect people, by censoring a song because it uses the word bomb.
If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't the government:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:...Clear Channel Communications, took it upon itself to issue a list of a hundred-ish songs that it has deemed inappropriate for play on the radio stations it owns....
It was a corporate monopoly that was doing the censoring. In the USA, it's the big corporations that take over the duty of big brother, so the government doesn't have to!
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Well still... it's a ridiculous sustem in my humble opinion.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

David Smith wrote:Well still... it's a ridiculous sustem in my humble opinion.
But of course. And it's even more ridiculous having a corporate monopoly do this than the government. At least if it was the government doing it (assuming the government was run by elected officials), then they'd at least have the backing of the majority of the voting population (except in Florida :lol: ). But who elects those in charge on ClearChannel? Not I. It's a company! And since ClearChannel has taken over/bought up formerly independently-owned commercial radio stations, we have no choice in the matter (except to not listen to commercial radio which is what I choose to do).

Freedom from choice. Government censorship via extreme monopolistic capitalism. It's the new way. :x
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i've changed my mind on some forms of censorship. This site for example, go back and read a post entitled Swearing And Gay People, that was my original beleifs.

Now i assure you i'm not selling out my beleifs (the fact that i'm now a moderator has nothing to do with it :lol:) but i beleive now there is a line of what is appropreite and what's not.

But the point is, i would never consider it appropreate to ban Mother from appearing on radio. Not that i see why it would, it's not exactly radio friendly, but still, there's nothing wrong with it. Does that song mention flying an aeroplane in to a tower? No. Does it mention the Taliban? No. Is it anti America? No.

It just displays an attitude to blame what happened on something else rather than looking at the real issues. The fact is a bunch of terrorists attacked them and in order to protect their people America radio decided to take a bunch of songs of the bill. Hmm, one question, why? All the songs were written a long time ago and the merest mention of a plane shouldn't cause offence to people.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

kjnpf wrote:Just as a side point, do you think they will drop the bomb? :)
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Mother, should I trust the government?

I was listening to a foreign radio station late at night @ 3 weeks ago to escape from all the discussion about Iraq, ABITWptII was playing and it went into Mother., thought it was ironic with these lines, not something you;d expect to hear. I was almost drifting off relaxing/listening to the tune when it wa suddenlt cut short by what sounded like two people argueing and throwing cds around the studio - I think they'd kept the album running by mistake.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Some of those songs on that list should be permanently banned, anyway, in my opinion!! Haha...kidding.

Anyway, while I believe good intentions were certainly at hand here, it doesn't seem people are commonly considerate anymore, anyhow. And on the other hand, what IS too far? Sept. 11th was a(n) (inter)national tragedy, which affected a great number of people, of course, but let's look at this here. There are many, many children who grow up without a father...so does that mean they should never play "Cats in the Cradle" on the radio? Because it would be upsetting to someone who misses/never knew their daddy? And what about love songs...the world is PLAGUED with those...should they not play love songs to be considerate of those going through a breakup/divorce? I mean, really...while I understand and even respect what they were trying to do...to me it's just ridiculous. I have my serious doubts that those who lost loved ones in the twin towers were cranking their local rock station anyway.

On another note, I know one of the bands on that list. And getting yanked off the radio greatly hurt their career, which was just taking off. It was pretty sad, they wrote what was to them a feel-good tribute to playing rock n roll, then they get yanked because of something over which they had (obviously) no control, and 8 years of hard work went down the drain. Rather sad. I don't like the band myself, but they were good guys, and I was glad for their success.

And, Mother (the person on here, not the song), I whole heartedly agree with everything you have said. And if I ever listen to the radio anymore (which is only when FORCED), I'm blasting the oldies station. "Runaround Sue" is a great song, and I'm bound to hear it at least 3 times a day, if I tried hard enough!! LOL. ;)