49%
Shine on you crazy diamond
51%

Total votes: 43

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Echoes or Shine On

Post by David Smith »

So which does everyone prefer, Echoes or Shine On?

Personally i'm undecided, it would have to be shine on right now, although it's slowly getting a bit to boring whereas i can listen to Echoes as often as i want without it getting boring.

Then again, Ehoes could easily have lot about 6 minutes, but shine on part 2 could have lost it's ending. I can't decide.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

It's Echoes

Post by Stiggs »

I choose Echoes and I'll tell you why I prefer it over SoYcD. Both Shine and Echoes have a relaxed beginning, both of which build up to a magestic sound. Echoes starts off quicker, but SoYcD seems to have a more connection-based meaning (connection with Syd), and Echoes tries to tell a story. Shine On has a more personal perspective, so some people may prefer this song because of the "longing of a person," or something of that nature.
However, the fault I seem to find with Shine On is after the end of the lyrics for parts 1-5 (or is it 6? 7?) the saxophone solo makes it seem like the song's about to conclude. That's not the case at the end of Echoes. The ending to Shine On parts whatever to 9 is a very fitting to the end of a song, and an album, which is what Echoes has. It seems more satisfying to me to listen to Echoes than Shine On.
I still love Shine On, I just prefer Echoes.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Echoes is my favourite Pink Floyd song. I think it sums up the meaning of life and I love the narrative of the music and how the "lead instrument" leading you across the land changes and changes but we reach the end! Perhaps comparable with how we go from one sexual partner to the next throught our lives until we die. Procreating is the way!!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Echoes or Shine On

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

David Smith wrote:shine on part 2 could have lost it's ending.
'Shine On Part 9' is one of the beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Richard Wright is a genius. :?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:
David Smith wrote:shine on part 2 could have lost it's ending.
'Shine On Part 9' is one of the beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Richard Wright is a genius. :?
I was listening to SOYCD parts I to IX on the British Winter Tour 1974 RoIO CD. I rather enjoyed hearing it in its entirity.

I am currently listening to a radio interview with David Gilmour from 1992. It has demos for various songs and a selection of songs that he likes. I may add it as the RoIO of the month for March in a few days so make sure you are all subscribed to the website newsletter. Gilmour really lays into Waters with the criticism!
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Richard Wright is a genius. :?

Hopefully this is a joke..
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I just admire him for writing that piece of music, is all. :)
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Echoes definetly, i kinda got tired of shine on, listened to it too much. my fave part of echoes is about 8 or 9 minutes into the song, but it kinda gets too weird after that, but picks up again
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

One of my favourite bits in 'Echoes' is about eighteen minutes in, when Gilmour's chiming guitars signal a new beginning. I find that rather overwhelming. A really emotional piece of music. 'A million bright ambassadors of morning' is lyrical excellence.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

just listened to echoes, this song is great.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:One of my favourite bits in 'Echoes' is about eighteen minutes in, when Gilmour's chiming guitars signal a new beginning. I find that rather overwhelming. A really emotional piece of music. 'A million bright ambassadors of morning' is lyrical excellence.

very true
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

In the studio id say Echoes is the better of the two, parts 1-5 of SOYCD certainly matches it but I think parts 6-9 fall short somewhat. Live though id definately say SOYCD was the better track. Echoes live didnt really change that much from the studio version apart from generally heavier more distorted guitar from Dave. The same goes for parts 1-5 of SPYCD live however parts 6-9 was changed massively(in 1977) and is my fav live Floyd track next to CWTAE. The intro (part 6) is alot longer and more dramtic with some great guitar effects used to build up to the part where wrights keyboards come in. Part 7 is pretty much the same as in the studio, part 8 is massively extended with loads of great jamming between Dave and Snowey White. Part 9 is alot better as well with the added Piano and Guitar making it much more dramaitc and mornful.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Shine on is by far the better track, but it would be fair to say that without Echoes, shine on would not exist. As in my mind Shine on is a natural progression from Echoes.

I also prefer the Shine On box set to Echoes the best of album
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:One of my favourite bits in 'Echoes' is about eighteen minutes in, when Gilmour's chiming guitars signal a new beginning. I find that rather overwhelming. A really emotional piece of music. 'A million bright ambassadors of morning' is lyrical excellence.
How true! Echoes, in my estimation, is one of the best Floyd songs--at least one of my favorites. That sort of "new genesis" part is absolutely brillliant and emotional. I also like the middle part (great song for tripping).
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

"Your possible pasts" is a brilliant song,the lyrics are really well thought out and meaningful " by the cold and religious we were taken in hand,shown how to feel good ,then told to feel bad", you never hear much discussions about masterpieces like that PITY!
ps Echoes is the better of the 2, only marginally though.