Texas

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Texas

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Okay, since that thread is a war thread (and Keith is keeping us in check ;) ) here goes.

Yes, SXSW is in Texas. Austin, to be exact. And even though I have grown to loathe Texas (I live in Dallas) I do really dig Austin. However, a lot of the tours that I have any interest in seeing usually skip Dallas. Why? Well, have you been to a show in Dallas recently? It's all about scenesters and being seen, and people rigidly stand there and watch the band. Nobody dances, nobody has fun, and Dallas is, in general, a tough crowd.

The general mentality here (NOTE: I say GENERAL--I don't want anyone getting defensive on this, because it seems people get offended easily at times) is......well, most people don't seem to think beyond what color SUV they're going to get to match their outfits. Nobody seems to care about anything. I put together a show at the Gypsy Tea Room in Deep Ellum recently to benefit the West Memphis 3 (I had some good bands on that bill, and it got a lot of promotion as well) and while I was not entirely disappointed by the outcome, it seems people in other states have better luck. It's all relative, I suppose. There is not a lot of awareness around here, people just don't seem to care about much! Again...this is GENERAL. I've lived here since 1994, having grown up on the east coast...where people were more socially aware, GENERALLY.

I hate this state (except Austin..and some parts of East TX are pretty) and I am getting the hell out of here ASAP. I plan to move to upstate NY early this summer, and I'm really looking forward to paying half the rent I pay here to live in a decent neighborhood, and sending my son to a school where they care about education.

Have any of you ever driven on Dallas streets? That right there is an indicator to show how little they care. And Dallas is a very culture-less city. I loved going to NYC (not that I'd want to live there...nice place to visit, too fast for me) where everywhere you looked, it was so rich in culture. Dallas is a joke. A JOKE. Perhaps I shouldn't say I despise Texas, really it's Dallas I hate. But Texas is.......well, just a hard state. And just plain WEIRD. They have their own rules.

::Stepping off soapbox.:: That's MY point of view.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Sometimes I think that's the case anywhere and everywhere, and not specific to Texas, although I've never been to Texas. :wink: The place you are stuck living, especially in your 20s, sometimes seems like the armpit of the cultural universe. I know that's what it was like when I lived in Northern Colorado, and I wanted out fast. When I moved to where I am now, the Berkeley of the Midwest, at times Colorado didn't seem that bad after all. It's a case of the grass is greener. I guess you have to end up making the best of wherever you are, but I know how frustrating it is...I love your comment about the SUVs and matching outfits, but even here in The People's Republic of Madison there's plenty of that in the 'burbs.

I lived in upstate New York when I was a kid (Syracuse area) and just this past fall took my first trip back in 30 years. It's beautiful there!
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

:P " All my ex's live in texas la...la...la..."
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I live in Austin, its such a great city, the live music capital of the world. one of my friends is working at SXSW, but i dont really care to go for some reason. thats cool you live in dallas, but austin is a cooler city :lol:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I thought TEXAS were a second rate Scottish Band
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Mother wrote:Sometimes I think that's the case anywhere and everywhere, and not specific to Texas, although I've never been to Texas. :wink: The place you are stuck living, especially in your 20s, sometimes seems like the armpit of the cultural universe. I know that's what it was like when I lived in Northern Colorado, and I wanted out fast. When I moved to where I am now, the Berkeley of the Midwest, at times Colorado didn't seem that bad after all. It's a case of the grass is greener. I guess you have to end up making the best of wherever you are, but I know how frustrating it is...I love your comment about the SUVs and matching outfits, but even here in The People's Republic of Madison there's plenty of that in the 'burbs.

I lived in upstate New York when I was a kid (Syracuse area) and just this past fall took my first trip back in 30 years. It's beautiful there!
I love upstate NY. Went to school there: Oswego (near Syracuse) and Binghamton from where i graduated as a younger git. Beautiful . I am originally from downstae (Long Island) but live upstate for 6yrs. Now i live in a rural part of CA, in the north, on the coast with redwoods and mountains and it is beautiful too.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

grateful pink wrote:I love upstate NY. Went to school there: Oswego (near Syracuse) and Binghamton from where i graduated as a younger git. Beautiful . I am originally from downstae (Long Island) but live upstate for 6yrs. Now i live in a rural part of CA, in the north, on the coast with redwoods and mountains and it is beautiful too.
I lived in Liverpool! (NY, not England)...isn't that near Binghamton? When I lived there (1969-71) I do remember it smelling really bad at times, especially when we drove near Solvay. Lots of industrial pollution, which I think they've cleaned up by now.

I want to live where you do in northern CA. I hate southern CA, but love anything north of San Francisco, especially Crescent City/Eureka. The redwoods are so beautiful, and I love those banana slugs. Have only been there once in my life, but fell in love with it.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

There is always the grass is greener on the other side stuff.I'm 36 and have figured out that you can be happy anywhere you are because happiness is a state of mind.Thanks to the net you can talk to people anywhere in the world about what you like.It's not like your trapped on an island without anybody on your wavelink.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Actually, I'm happier when I'm around trees and mountains. So, um, yeah.

Turns out I am getting the hell outta Texas. My son and I leave Monday at 5:30. Moving to Columbus, Ohio for a couple weeks...then off to upstate NY. WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I got family there.Actually Columbus is an eastern Ky suburb where there is so many people from east-Ky there.Just about everybody I know has some family in Columbus when they left to get factory jobs years ago.When they retire they move back.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Mother wrote:
grateful pink wrote:I love upstate NY. Went to school there: Oswego (near Syracuse) and Binghamton from where i graduated as a younger git. Beautiful . I am originally from downstae (Long Island) but live upstate for 6yrs. Now i live in a rural part of CA, in the north, on the coast with redwoods and mountains and it is beautiful too.
I lived in Liverpool! (NY, not England)...isn't that near Binghamton? When I lived there (1969-71) I do remember it smelling really bad at times, especially when we drove near Solvay. Lots of industrial pollution, which I think they've cleaned up by now.

I want to live where you do in northern CA. I hate southern CA, but love anything north of San Francisco, especially Crescent City/Eureka. The redwoods are so beautiful, and I love those banana slugs. Have only been there once in my life, but fell in love with it.
Actually, Liverpool is closer to Syracuse and Oswego, not that close to Binghamton. Ps-could someone tell me how to quote a portion of a post instead of the whole post. I tried to highlight. Do you just cut and paste?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I just press quote, which quotes the whole lot, obviously, then delete the bits I don't want. :roll: :lol: :?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

drafsack wrote:I thought TEXAS were a second rate Scottish Band
Don't judge us on Texas, judge us on Idlewild
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

And Wet Wet Wet. :wink:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I assure you Scotland has appologised for that and will never stop doing so.

Mark Knopfler was from Glasgow, so there :D