Spring Break

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Spring Break

Post by Tommy »

anyone else here on spring break? i am, and im just relaxing, its been a tough quarter. i wish i was skiing in austria though.......
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I've been on a spring break since 2002... :lol: Peace... 8)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I thought spring brakes were an alternative to air brakes on trucks
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

drafsack wrote:I thought spring brakes were an alternative to air brakes on trucks
That was good. But I think very few people will get it.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Bong wrote:
drafsack wrote:I thought spring brakes were an alternative to air brakes on trucks
That was good. But I think very few people will get it.

I got it.

I also knew that you would respond to it since you love working on your vehicle.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

What do you think of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles, BONG?
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:What do you think of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles, BONG?
The technology hasn't progressed far enough to make them reliable, and practical, not to mention safe (hydrogen= explosive for those of you who don't know) for mass production.
Perhaps by the time the world's supply of petroleum has run out there will be an alternative, that shouldn't be too long, maybe 50- 100 years.
I don't have much of an opinion on them myself but I'd rather drive one of them than an electric.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

It actually takes a lot of fuel to make pure hydrogen and i thought the idea was to save fuel.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

It actually takes a lot of fuel to make pure hydrogen and i thought the idea was to save fuel.
Another reason is emmissions. But with most alternitive power sources the emmissions are created else where. If you Take battery powered vehicles for example, they are zero emmisions but the power stations that produce the electricity to charge the batteries are not zero emmission and therefore there is little gains in cleaning the ozone. If more time was spent making the internal combustion engine more efficient this would have a huge effect on the environment. At the moment most engines only use 30% of the fuels potential energy. That means 70% is wasted. So if they improved the engines efficiency to 60%, a vehicle that does 40 miles to the gallon would do around 80 miles to the gallon. Less fuel would be needed, there would be less emmissions and the excisting oil supplies would last longer. But there is a theory that if engines were more efficient then less oil would be needed and the world superpowers who own all the oil and control the world through the supply chain, could loose their place at the head of the table.

Also what is the point of wind farms. Using all that electricity to produce wind. There is enough of that in this country already
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Drafsack has a very good point, but eventually we WILL run out of fossil fuels and we do need an alternative.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, so i say we should bomb a country and use their fossel fuels :D

And how long's spring break?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

David Smith wrote:And how long's spring break?
one week for me and other normal high schools, two for most boarding high schools
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

[quote="David Smith"]Yeah, so i say we should bomb a country and use their fossel fuels :evil:

YA.... I agree!!!!!
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

drafsack wrote:
Another reason is emmissions. But with most alternitive power sources the emmissions are created else where. If you Take battery powered vehicles for example, they are zero emmisions but the power stations that produce the electricity to charge the batteries are not zero emmission and therefore there is little gains in cleaning the ozone. If more time was spent making the internal combustion engine more efficient this would have a huge effect on the environment. At the moment most engines only use 30% of the fuels potential energy. That means 70% is wasted. So if they improved the engines efficiency to 60%, a vehicle that does 40 miles to the gallon would do around

Also what is the point of wind farms. Using all that electricity to produce wind. There is enough of that in this country already
There is a process which I think is called electrolysis of water which will break it down into its base elements, hydrogen and oxygen. We did a science experiment in highschool with that.Mind you, wether or not that process uses a huge amount of electricity i don't know.

People need to stop buying big assed SUV's just for the sake of it being a trend, that will help save some petroleum. The US uses 3 billion barrels of oil a year, Canada isn't that far behind.