Define the 80s glam rock "thing"

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Define the 80s glam rock "thing"

Post by Stiggs »

I spose this is mostly directed to you David, but anyone can answer as well. Someone define exactly what is meant by the "80s glam rock scene/sound" that is brought up. I've read things ranging from Slash is 80s rock or whatever, and AMLOR and Radio Kaos have those sounds.

I think the "80s sound" is something along the range of the Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star" or basically anything that you see on those garbage "Best Of The 80s" albums that are advertised on TV all the time. It's all upbeat, and most of the time there's a couple people on synthesizers/keyboards. Synthesizers/keyboards I think are what defined the 80s sound. All the 80s garbage music had them (the good 80s stuff too) but there seems to be a certain direction that the garbage 80s bands went in. Most of those bands haven't really been able to survive the 80s as a result of that. Some of those bands who didn't have the 80s glam rock sound are still around today...U2, Phish, hell even Michael Jackson survived the 80s (or did he...?)

Ehh I'm done typing. My back hurts. Someone else post what they think defines the "80s glam rock scene."
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Glam bands in the 70's were bands like Mott the Hoople and others who dressed a certain way and played a certain type of hard rock (i guess you would call it). Mott the Hoople was the epitome of glam rock of the 70's.

As for the 80's i would say they were "hair bands" like gnr and motely crue, etc
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Glad to:

80's sound can be defined in so many ways, i suppose the first and most obviosu is the guitar style. 80's guitarists i feel owe more to eddy van halen and slash than Hendrix and Clapton e.t.c The style is very much a long riff or bar chords that sounds hard to play but is actually really quite simple to play, relying more on string bending than anything else. An example is the CN riff, i know people who can play it note perfectly.

Growing up in the 90's i can look back at the evolution of the guitar and see what makes the 80's sound. I define 80's guitar with string bending and a sell out sound. I would think i'd have mentioned this before, but my personal theory is off David Gilmour being a sell out guitarist who was capable of so much, but his riffs on TFC were totally 80's. bar chord after bar chord with frequent bends while few proper notes are actually played. It's just play a note and bend it for a while. That style.

Radio Kaos i would see as 80's because of the heavy rhthm and bass sounds to it with a sort of dance feel. Like New Order. An example is the start of Radio waves after the dj talks when the techno beat starts. It's this production of bar chord riffs and bending, along with massive loud beats and flawless production. In this respect i would think the song Run Like Hell would be suited to that sort of musical period. It's got loud drums, 80's guitar styles and a dance sound to it.

Synphesisers were prime instruments in the 80's. Band would use them like there's no tomorrow and in doing so leave the music in favour of awful experimentation. Neil Young's landing on water is a prime example.

AMLOR doesn't have the 80's dance sound, but i would say has the glam rock sound. This is just mainstream rock that you can picture being played at corwded football stadiums with people waving their ciggareete lighters to it. On the turning away is stadium rock and comes from glam rock.

It really is hard to define what gives something an 80's sound. If anyone has the album Jeff's Guitar Shop by Jeff Beck they would no it's crap. it has all the 80's cliches of dance rock through sythesisers and stadium rock style playing of 80's riffs.

Radio kaos and AMLOR were strictly music for the 80's, they sound periodic and couldn't have come out in any other era. New Order i think sum up the dance/ radio kaos style sound of the 80's and the scorpians sum up glam rock and 80's guitar style.

Everyone's homework is to listen to the song money for nothing or the works of Neil Young in the 80's, or the rifs on WYWH compared to those of TFC. See if you know what i'm talking about.

Finally, DSOTM could come out tomorrow and it wouldn't be to dated, AMLOR couldn't 'cause it uses all the afore mentioned cliches.