Animals - who are they?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Animals - who are they?

Post by crofloyd »

Having listened to Animals (for me the last Pink Floyd album, because I think that from The Wall on are just solo efforts made under name of PF including both Roger's FINAL CUT and Dave's two albums), I was wondering what types of people are Dogs, Sheep and Pigs? What's it all about? Does it have any concept, because I gotta admit I'm a little bit confused. Please Help. Many thanks!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Keep all of this in mind while listening to the album:

Dogs - Businessmen
Pigs - Leaders (Politicians, religious leaders, etc.)
Sheep - The masses
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Keep all of this in mind while listening to the album:

Dogs - Businessmen
Pigs - Leaders (Politicians, religious leaders, etc.)
Sheep - The masses
I can also see how they can be personality types:

Dogs - Driven to achieve and get ahead, foresaking no opportunity no matter who is in their way and harmed in the process

Pigs - Moralistic types, those who like to criticize people and think their way is always right (the "busstop ratbag" was probably not a leader in any way, just a condescending-looking woman)

Sheep - Those who like an easy life or would rather lead a contemplative lifestyle away from the moralizers and hardcore achievers.

These are all very general categorizations.

I consider myself a very black sheep. :)

Hey Keith, here's something for your enneagrams! :)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Hmm, bought Personality Types (book) t'other day. Worth it, interesting. Somewhat devastating, too, but...
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Did Roger Waters have anybody in mind while writing Animals? Was the album motivated by something or someone?
I think it's rather good musically, but now I'm getting the other side too.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

crofloyd wrote:Did Roger Waters have anybody in mind while writing Animals? Was the album motivated by something or someone?
I think it's rather good musically, but now I'm getting the other side too.
I think Animals is probably my fave album....Dave's guitar on Dogs, Rick's synth on Pigs 3DO, the accoustic guitar on POTW1&2...and of course Roger's voice throughout. P3DO is probably my favorite PF song too. There's nothing weak on this album, IMHO.

I know for sure that Mary Whitehouse, (those in Britain probably have a better grasp on who she was...I think she was similar to America's Jerry Falwell) who is mentioned in the last verse of P3DO was one of the people Rog had in mind, but I don't know about others. The music press, perhaps? People in the music industry? This is all just a guess.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Animals

Post by bmet »

It's definitely a great album as part of the trilogy that is DSOTM,WYWH,
and Animals.I think the guitar solo at the end of Pigs 3 Different Ones
is one of Gilmour's greatest (particularly when he performed it live
as in the recording from Oakland Colisseum in May 1977).
Other than the electric piano piece at the beginning of Sheep,Rick is
sadly in the background on this record compared to the previous 2
releases. (Perhaps due to Roger's influeance or Rick's lack of contribution!?....always open for debate I suppose).
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Have you all read Animal Farm upon which Animals is loosely based? A funny and thought provoking fable indeed! :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I always get depressed just before the horse getting... well, you know. :? :( :cry: :roll:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

kjnpf wrote:Have you all read Animal Farm upon which Animals is loosely based? A funny and thought provoking fable indeed! :lol:
Orwell based Animal Farm on Russia's Communist unrising, whereas Roger based Animals on Britains Capitalist society.

So theres a slight difference, but still a lot of similarities
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Furious wrote:
kjnpf wrote:Have you all read Animal Farm upon which Animals is loosely based? A funny and thought provoking fable indeed! :lol:
Orwell based Animal Farm on Russia's Communist unrising, whereas Roger based Animals on Britains Capitalist society.

So theres a slight difference, but still a lot of similarities
They both have the issue of the powerful few though. I dont know if it was just me but I interpreted the book to mean that Communism and Capitalism are pretty much the same from a moral perspective!! Of course, one of those things which underlies capitalism - property rights - sort of makes the who conclusion of mine invalid! I think I will read it again soon!! :-) Have another think!
kaya
Axe
Axe

Post by kaya »

Animals remides me of Crime and Punishment (Dostojevski) when Raskolnikov said there are only 2 kindes of people in the world - Napoleons ( the leaders) and lice (the ones who follow).
what do you think about that?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

kaya wrote:Animals remides me of Crime and Punishment (Dostojevski) when Raskolnikov said there are only 2 kindes of people in the world - Napoleons ( the leaders) and lice (the ones who follow).
Us and Them.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

kaya wrote:Animals remides me of Crime and Punishment (Dostojevski) when Raskolnikov said there are only 2 kindes of people in the world - Napoleons ( the leaders) and lice (the ones who follow).
Well, i'm nor a leader nor a followe. I guess i'm a thinker.