Cool on campus

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Cool on campus

Post by David Smith »

Ok, next year i become a student. So come on you lot, a number of you 'ave to be students. What's it like? Anything i should know about? How much does it cost? e.t.c

My vision of a student is a starbucks drinker (frapacino normally) in a blazin squad jacket listening to cold play and watcing the wicker man and worshipping Syd. As long as i don't turn in to one of them then it's fine :D
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hay David

I teach post 16 students for a living, look forward to a life of working in McDonalds/Sainsburys/KFC etc. while trying to fit in studying, drinking, listening to underground groups, complaining when they become popular for selling out, wearing the same clothes for a year, nicking other peoples food out of the fridge etc. Alternativly you could alway go and get a job and contribute towards society for a while. The choice is yours.

What ever you do enjoy yourself!!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I did A-levels from 1999-2001, then a music course from 2001-November 2002 (when I officially stopped leading a normal life), so I was a student for about three and half years. Met some cool people, didn't work hard enough, played in bands, recorded an album, drank too much, wasted a lot of money and felt depressed, laughy and fun. So yeah, it's alright. :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:I did A-levels from 1999-2001, then a music course from 2001-November 2002 (when I officially stopped leading a normal life), so I was a student for about three and half years. Met some cool people, didn't work hard enough, played in bands, recorded an album, drank too much, wasted a lot of money and felt depressed, laughy and fun. So yeah, it's alright. :lol:
My life story. I have 2 weeks of my university degree in Economics (not cooking! the economy, inflation, unemploment etc.) left and, I must say, being a student it pretty good. It is an easy life full of partying, cheap beer, trendy bars, lots of new people from all round the world and out own country, lots of new ideas and things to do. It will be as good as you make it. I made it so I cannot remember much of it!! I mean, come on, pound a pint from 7pm until 11pm? Wasted all the time!!!

Take it from me though, reward yourself by going out and having lots of fun only after you have completed your work for a particular day. Don't become complacent like me and leave it all untill the last minute. My finals are starting in 5 weeks and I still need to learn stuff. As a result of my antics, I will probably get a 2.2 degree instead of a 2.1 or - I have the ability - a 1st. :( Oh well, shit happens! :lol:

It is great though. Have fun Mr David.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

well, if you went to the biggest college of the world that happens to be right in my city, you would go to sports events and get drunk all day. either that or be reclusive, go to protests daily, and watch artsy movies all day. its so weird, its the most conservative school ever mixed with the most liberal school ever. and david, how are you going to college next year? im your age and i still have two full years of high school left
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I'm in 5th year, i mean just over a year from now (a year and 2 months) i'll have finished 6th year (5th year ends in may) and the university semesters start in August or something.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I think one of the best things about college is that nearly everybody treats everybody else like adults (sorta). Gone are those highschool days where cliques ruled the halls and fashion determined who was cool. There will always be jerks who find the need to make others feel inferior, but those people are definitely the minority. Or maybe this is just at my college.

But my pointers:
1) Put studying first. Don't play videogames, guitar, or drinking games until the work is all done. Learn when you can afford to take leisure time for yourself, and how much you can afford to take.

2) Similarly, if you plan to drink, keep it in its proper place. Learn how much alcohol you can handle, and don't exceed that amount. Lots of people choose not to drink, and the number of those who do drink is most likely far less than you think.

3) Keep an open mind about people. You'll meet lots of "wierd" ones on campus, but if you give them a fair chance, you'll find that they're really pretty normal.

4) Don't let your profs indoctrinate you. Filter EVERYTHING you're told/taught. Much of the material you are fed will be valuable, true information. Much of it will be opinion/theory disguised as fact.

5) Don't be fooled by how "easy" college is. This will depend completely on which school you choose to attend, but understand that many people (sadly) don't take their education seriously. It's no problem to squeeze by in your typical college with a "C" average, and still have time each night to try out the new drug or set a new record for alcohol intake. But if you work hard, you just may be able to pull off an "A" avg. If college is easy, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. What you get out of college is directly related to what you put in, and nobody will push you; you must do it yourself.

That's the end of my lecture. Sorry if I came off a bit preachy, but you asked. :)
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Richter_M. wrote:I think one of the best things about college is that nearly everybody treats everybody else like adults (sorta).
That's true, they do. Except in graduate school...then it's back to the profs treating you like you're in Jr. High again.
Richter_M. wrote:Don't let your profs indoctrinate you. Filter EVERYTHING you're told/taught. Much of the material you are fed will be valuable, true information. Much of it will be opinion/theory disguised as fact.
Also true. And especially true in graduate school when most of it is influenced by the profs' political agenda, enormous ego, misunderstanding of the working class and likewise envy of those with more notoriety than themselves.

Oh and of course professorial interdepartmental infighting for top-dog position of department head which causes them to use their students as pawns in their chess games.

Don't want to scare you off...college is great! (Really, it is!) But working toward an advanced degree isn't.

That's just all my own personal experiences of course. :wink:
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Richter_M. wrote:I think one of the best things about college is that nearly everybody treats everybody else like adults (sorta). Gone are those highschool days where cliques ruled the halls and fashion determined who was cool. There will always be jerks who find the need to make others feel inferior, but those people are definitely the minority. Or maybe this is just at my college.

But my pointers:
1) Put studying first. Don't play videogames, guitar, or drinking games until the work is all done. Learn when you can afford to take leisure time for yourself, and how much you can afford to take.

2) Similarly, if you plan to drink, keep it in its proper place. Learn how much alcohol you can handle, and don't exceed that amount. Lots of people choose not to drink, and the number of those who do drink is most likely far less than you think.

3) Keep an open mind about people. You'll meet lots of "wierd" ones on campus, but if you give them a fair chance, you'll find that they're really pretty normal.

4) Don't let your profs indoctrinate you. Filter EVERYTHING you're told/taught. Much of the material you are fed will be valuable, true information. Much of it will be opinion/theory disguised as fact.

5) Don't be fooled by how "easy" college is. This will depend completely on which school you choose to attend, but understand that many people (sadly) don't take their education seriously. It's no problem to squeeze by in your typical college with a "C" average, and still have time each night to try out the new drug or set a new record for alcohol intake. But if you work hard, you just may be able to pull off an "A" avg. If college is easy, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. What you get out of college is directly related to what you put in, and nobody will push you; you must do it yourself.
1. Very true. I had to figure that one out the hard way. Partying hard and not doing your homework WILL get you a grade. A failing grade, that is.
2. Also very true. Also I had to figure out that one the hard way.
3. Very, very true. College is where people let themselves free, express themselves. My experience is that the weird/crazy people are really great to hang out with because they can be very, very interesting to talk to. I'm a faithful (in my own way) christian, but some of my best friends are atheists, being friends with them helped me understand my religion more because they pointed out the faults. I was really good friends with ecstacy/coke freaks, goths, preppy kids, ultra-catholics, you name it. Everyone can get along, it's just that you've got to have an open mind.
4. I wouldn't necessarily agree, but I don't disagree. You can tell fact from fiction if your teacher can back up their statements with facts. That or you can just tell that they're biased.
5. Wow, so true. If you're living in a dorm, it's so much easier to just skip class and hang out with your friends and do "whatever" to pass the time. High school was a test of how much you have learned, college is a test of whether or not you're mature enough to be ready for real life. You're on your own, no mommy and daddy to run crying home to. Time to grow up.

At least that's what I've learned from college......
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Richter_M. wrote:I think one of the best things about college is that nearly everybody treats everybody else like adults (sorta). Gone are those highschool days where cliques ruled the halls and fashion determined who was cool. There will always be jerks who find the need to make others feel inferior, but those people are definitely the minority. Or maybe this is just at my college.

But my pointers:

1. Very true. I had to figure that one out the hard way. Partying hard and not doing your homework WILL get you a grade. A failing grade, that is.
2. Also very true. Also I had to figure out that one the hard way.
3. Very, very true. College is where people let themselves free, express themselves. My experience is that the weird/crazy people are really great to hang out with because they can be very, very interesting to talk to. I'm a faithful (in my own way) christian, but some of my best friends are atheists, being friends with them helped me understand my religion more because they pointed out the faults. I was really good friends with ecstacy/coke freaks, goths, preppy kids, ultra-catholics, you name it. Everyone can get along, it's just that you've got to have an open mind...don't shut somebody out because they're different, shut them out because you don't like them.
4. I wouldn't necessarily agree, but I don't disagree. You can tell fact from fiction if your teacher can back up their statements with facts. That or you can just tell that they're biased.
5. Wow, so true. If you're living in a dorm, it's so much easier to just skip class and hang out with your friends and do "whatever" to pass the time. High school was a test of how much you have learned, college is a test of whether or not you're mature enough to be ready for real life. You're on your own, no mommy and daddy to run crying home to. Time to grow up.

At least that's what I've learned from college......

PS - Dave, there's gonna be a lot of temptation to do drugs at college...
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Stiggs wrote:PS - Dave, there's gonna be a lot of temptation to do drugs at college...
Said elsewhere, got VERY bad asthma so i'll have to keep off it.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Not all drugs require use of your lungs....
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Well the best un's do. I certainly wouldn't tocuh needles e.t.c and i would hope nobody here would.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:Well the best un's do. I certainly wouldn't tocuh needles e.t.c and i would hope nobody here would.
Take some tablets. Go on! Go on!! :lol:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

David Smith wrote:
Stiggs wrote:PS - Dave, there's gonna be a lot of temptation to do drugs at college...
Said elsewhere, got VERY bad asthma so i'll have to keep off it.
well then all the more beer for you to enjoy