On the turning away

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

On the turning away

Post by David Smith »

Anyone else think this song is just bloody wonderful. Especially on TDSOT, superb and quite possibally the best post waters song. Listened to it 3 times in a row and bloody love it :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think it is the best post-waters song and I love polls apart as well. :-)
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I think it is a pretentious glam rock song with synthetic lyrics. It is a song I would expect from The Scorpions, not a so-called "Pink Floyd."
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I suppose the song is a bit melodramatic... Whatever. It's a nice song. Bit eighties, I guess (post Live Aid etc)... I like the keyboard intro on Thunder - nice version - pity the studio recording is so, er, un-homogenous (new word there). Love the bit in the Delicate video where Rick sings "..that there'll BE no more turning away..." Just love that... Hmm. Yeah. Ta. :)
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I love this song; well written lyrics and music. I also like the version on DSOT.
UntilWeSleep
Axe
Axe

Post by UntilWeSleep »

quicksilver wrote:I love this song; well written lyrics and music. I also like the version on DSOT.
I agree...The guitar solo is just simply amazing... great effort for the post-Waters Floyd
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

One of the best songs from the post Waters Pink Floyd.
The funny thing is, when I first saw David's post my first thought was "I bet Real Pink's going to say he hates it".
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I hate to tell you RPITI that I like some of the Scorpions stuff.I have heard a lot worse than them besides it reminds me of my senior year in highschool.They were big them.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I can't stand the song, its the only one on that album I skip.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

It's not that bad, but nothing special IMHO. Haven't heard the live version of it though...
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

flashback wrote:I hate to tell you RPITI that I like some of the Scorpions stuff.I have heard a lot worse than them besides it reminds me of my senior year in highschool.They were big them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Yeah....

Post by Stiggs »

It's a good song however Dave I think was trying too hard on this one. It does have meaning to it, and it does try to sound great/dramatic/important/whatever, and I do like it, but it just seems like Dave was just trying something on that song. It was an idea that was thrown out there and ended up on the album, I feel. Dave's attempt at a concept album on AMLOR was good (and I do like the version from DSOT a little better) but it lacks the originality and subtle touch that Roger had.

I like it, just not that much...
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

As i've said elsewhere i comes from a scotish folk song so i've grown up with that tune in my head, and for once it's great to have some decent lyrics and a brilliant voice over it rather than a ginger haired, long bearded kilt wearing tosser who earns like 3 quid for doing it.*

On TDSOT Dave's voice is just brilliant, and the solo is great, it's nice to hear a solo go somewhere on a pink floyd record rather than being cut off for a twist in the concept.

* No offence is meant to anyone with ginger hair, a long beard or those that wear kilts and sing in small bars for damn all. Although if you do all 3 or sing with your brothers in a band named The Mcalmonds then i hope you're offended.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Yeah....

Post by Spinoza »

Stiggs wrote: Dave's attempt at a concept album on AMLOR was good (and I do like the version from DSOT a little better) but it lacks the originality and subtle touch that Roger had.

I like it, just not that much...
I think that most Pink Floyd-fans here just think that only Rogers songs can be original and subtle.
David Smith

Re: Yeah....

Post by David Smith »

Spinoza wrote:I think that most Pink Floyd-fans here just think that only Rogers songs can be original and subtle.
Don't forget Syd