General discussion about Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

DSoTM in the charts again

Post by drafsack »

Just found this at

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/ ... floyd.html

Dark Side Of The Moon IS BAck In The Charts Pink Floyd's classic Dark Side of the Moon is back on the US chart, debuting in the Top 50 this week.

This is the 30th Anniversary release of the album and it is released for the very first time in Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) format.

SACD allows the disc to be played in 5:1 surround in certain players as well as play normally on the average CD player. If you don't have SACD, then you will still benefit from the new remix of the record.

'Dark Side of the Moon' was originally released in 1973 on vinyl in stereo and got it's first boost of technology when the first re-issue came out not long after in Quadraphonic (a short lived technology that separated sound into four channels).

Over the years the album has been released also on vinyl as a picture disc and in Australia on Pink Vinyl to mark their 1988 tour. If you have a copy of that it is a rare collector's item.

Russia also once released a Floyd rarity. The Dark Side tracks 'Us and Them' and 'Money' were separately issued on flexidisc, a thin plastic disposable format. 'Money' was also a single in the US but no tracks from the album have ever been issued as singles in the UK.

On CD the album was released in the original form in the 80's with a 20th Anniversary remastered edition in 1993 packaged in a box with a new booklet and collectable pictures.

The new SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon is the first time the release has been made available in 5:1 sound. The closest to this was the 70's Quad mix which played out of 4 speakers.

'Dark Side of the Moon' spent 741 weeks on the Billboard charts during it's initial run. It has sold over 30 million albums worldwide.

By Paul Cashmere

EDITED BY ADMIN - Broken link edited.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Blimey! :shock:

:)
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

"this is the crisis i knew had to come ,distorting the balance i need,doubting and turning and writhing around,wondering what will come next?"
Respect to anyone here who can even name the band that wrote the above!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The song is Passover from 1980 and the band are Joy Division and the album is Closer.

Now i deserve respect for that people! :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

AthousandMilesOfMoonlight wrote:"this is the crisis i knew had to come ,distorting the balance i need,doubting and turning and writhing around,wondering what will come next?"
You know...a guy writes lyrics like this and everyone acts suprise when he commits suicide.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I reckon Joy Division were ok, but after the guys went and made New Order it was awful, and Monico weren't much better.

It was just total beat and bass, no melody or anything, just a god damn beat covering the singing and playing. Pure techno. That's why i hate New Order. And Blue Monday is the most over rated song of the 80's.

Just my opinion of course
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

mosespa wrote:You know...a guy writes lyrics like this and everyone acts suprise when he commits suicide.
:lol:
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

Respect to you David smith for getting that!Joy division were a great band,
And i think New Order are an excellent band,Some of their songs like True Faith,blue monday and Ceremony are fantastic
It was a real shame what happened to Ian Curtis.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I probably just need to hear more New Order, i got Substance and that's all. It's just the other Manchester bands of the era were just better like Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Primal Scream making their presence a bit meaningless. My opinion again there, i'm not saying it's true.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Re: DSoTM in the charts again

Post by rollinder »

drafsack wrote:Just found this at

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/ ... floyd.html

Dark Side Of The Moon IS BAck In The Charts Pink Floyd's classic Dark Side of the Moon is back on the US chart, debuting in the Top 50 this week.
from http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/general/news.html

"DSOTM HITS Number 1 SPOT: The new version of Dark Side has gone straight into Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Album chart at number 1, as a "Hot Shot Debut", despite the fact it also lists the 1352 weeks it has spent on their charts so far!"

-- Posted 4 April 2003 © Brain Damage
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

David Smith wrote:I probably just need to hear more New Order, i got Substance and that's all. It's just the other Manchester bands of the era were just better like Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Primal Scream making their presence a bit meaningless. My opinion again there, i'm not saying it's true.
Joy Division's Closer IS one of the best albums ever, and maybe the best album of the 80's (IMHO it's a LOT better than The Stone Roses debut for example, which also very good)