Gilmour Guitars

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
JIMMY.MCG

Gilmour Guitars

Post by JIMMY.MCG »

What can you say about this guy! A true guitar great with loads of guitars how about trying to get as many different pics of dave with different guitars? My favourite is the candy apple red '62(?) strat. :P

Re: Gilmour Guitars

Post by Guest »

JIMMY.MCG wrote: how about trying to get as many different pics of dave with different guitars? strat. :P
sounds like a plan to me!!
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

:P
Comfortably Numb has just been voted the greatest guitar solo of all time in a survey by guitar makers Ibanez.
Which is not a supprise,although it is better live that on record mainly because it is longer,but it is an amazing performance by Gilmour,i think he is the one guitar player that everyone likes,i have a lot of guitar playing friends,who like all sorts of styles and players,but they all say that they really like Gilmour's style of play and touch.He proves that you don't need to be the fastest player to be the best,and i totaly agree with that.
Shine on David.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I agree. I really enjoy David's style. He doesn't try to play too many notes because that is not generally what the Floyd are about. They are about creating atmospheres not making the audience say whoa, how did he do that?? They do that anyway, they don't have to try! :lol: :lol:
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

i got a black fender stratocaster after seeing the pompeii video 8)
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

I too have heard the talk of Dave Gilmour using "too few notes", but surely people realise there is much much more to playing a guitar! Individual style and emotion are surely high factors in this. Look at The Edge (of U2) for instance, it is only in recent years we've heard Edge playing more poignant solos. Before this just about every track contained chordal riffs and not much else. But don't get me wrong, that is simply Edge's style. Look where U2 are today. I think this theory also applies to Gilmour, if thats the way you do it, and you do it well, why change? (It wouldn't be Floyd without Gilmours guitars, surely?!)
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Since my last post, I've been watching a lot of Pulse, and I find myself loving Daves playing even more than before!! :)

How can people cuss him, thats what I don't understand! I was having a chat with some geezer in another forum (I forget where) and he tried telling me Snowy White makes a better job of Comfortably Numb :shock: :roll: .

I strongly disagree but what do you lot think?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

That guy in your other forum is nuttier than a fruit cake. I've heard plenty of versions of CN played by other guitarists as well as some tribute bands and although they may be able to mimick every note they can't do it with the emotion that Dave does it with. There are so many factors in which someone's style of play is determined. Dave definately has his own style and I'll bet that if we were to listen to a tape of 10 guitarists playing CN (including Dave) we would be able to pick him out everytime.
pinktim
Axe
Axe

You Can't Beat The Original

Post by pinktim »

You certainly can't beat the original, can you?

I once saw a picture of David and some of his collection. Some is the operative word here.

I read that he now has the first Fender, but I can't remember if it is the first Fender or the first Fender Stratocaster or what?

In a poll some time ago on NPR's Talk of the Nation they did a show on electric guitars, mostly Fender. Then they did a call in survey of the best guitar players. David was one of them.
lying_on_an_eiderdown
Embryo
Embryo

Re: You Can't Beat The Original

Post by lying_on_an_eiderdown »

pinktim wrote:I read that he now has the first Fender, but I can't remember if it is the first Fender or the first Fender Stratocaster or what?
Yes Dave owns Fender Stratocaster serial number one.

Post by Guest »

About CompfyNumb: The best solo I ever heard was the Live in Berlin version. Rick diFonzo and Snowy White are doing a great job there, and Gilmour should listen carefully there... There seems te be a lot more emotion, not just the solo, but the whole song. (Having Wright and friend sing the verses was a bad joke, the 'grungier' intro of the delicate sound of thunder version euh... a bad joke).
On the more recent Waters tour, the guitarists are too busy trying to sound Gilmour-like. This influences all the Floyd songs on Waters' tour, hoever.
If the Floyd would ever be together again (who needs Nick & Rick to be there, by the way), a David/Snowy guitar duel would be great.
And Snowy's more 'argressive' playing contrasts nicely with Gilmour's style.