Help me understand the best I can

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Help me understand the best I can

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Can someone explain to me why some people obsess over the whole "Roger Waters is a bad person because he spit on a fan and and says disparaging things about the recent incarnation of Pink Floyd" thing? It gets tedious, really. Here's the way I see it:

1) How Roger (or ANYONE) deals with their adversaries is his own issue, not those of the fans. We all have, or we all will have, people from our past that we've felt have betrayed us and we don't want to have anything to do with. That's our business, not anyone else's.

2) Compared to the way many other rockstars behave, run-ins with police, violence, etc., who the heck CARES about the spitting incident? To me, it's so overblown. It's rock and roll, man, not a church camp.

2) Roger made an incredible gesture as an apology to the fan in the form of The Wall. I saw an interview with him where he said he felt really horrible about what he had done, where in the same interview, I think it was David said that the rest of them didn't really think much about it (the spitting incident) at the time. If that's the case, than why should it bother anyone except Roger?

Thanks for letting me vent about this here, as I'm just trying to find shelter from pigs on the wing.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Help me understand the best I can

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Mother wrote: 2) Roger made an incredible gesture as an apology to the fan in the form of The Wall. I saw an interview with him where he said he felt really horrible about what he had done, where in the same interview, I think it was David said that the rest of them didn't really think much about it (the spitting incident) at the time. If that's the case, than why should it bother anyone except Roger?
8) Thanks for saving me a bit of time.

Roger Waters is a artist of integrity who has my utmost respect :D
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Roger is the black sheep of Pink Floyd, and i dont think he should be, i mean, just like Mother said, relatively, looking at the rest of society, hes not bad. and even as a person, hes not bad, and of course, we dont know him or David personally, so we cant even assume anything on that note
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

IMO,Roger isn't really the black sheep of P-F,he just decided to leave.I don't hate him or any of the rest for continuing on.I thank all of them for the great music & memories that were created listening to them.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

flashback wrote:IMO,Roger isn't really the black sheep of P-F,he just decided to leave.I don't hate him or any of the rest for continuing on.I thank all of them for the great music & memories that were created listening to them.
Here, here. Or is it hear, hear? I'm never sure.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Well, compromise is sometimes necessary - hear here!
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Mother wrote:Can someone explain to me why some people obsess over the whole "Roger Waters is a bad person because he spit on a fan and and says disparaging things about the recent incarnation of Pink Floyd" thing? It gets tedious, really. Here's the way I see it:

1) How Roger (or ANYONE) deals with their adversaries is his own issue, not those of the fans. We all have, or we all will have, people from our past that we've felt have betrayed us and we don't want to have anything to do with. That's our business, not anyone else's.
Well, i don't like hypocrites. I however make a distinction between a person and his work.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Spinoza wrote:Well, i don't like hypocrites. I however make a distinction between a person and his work.
Well, neither do I, but in what way has Roger been hypocritical in any way that any of us hasn't? We're all guilty of hypocrisy to some extent. And isn't it hypocritical to constantly put someone down because *they* have put others down? It's the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe I'm just not big on the whole moralizing "so-and-so needs to clean up his act so he can be a nicer person" thing. Maybe I'm coming from a different place or time or something. I mean, if I didn't like someone, I left them alone, I didn't moralize and go Mary Whitehouse on how they could be better, especially when that person had *nothing to do with me*, which is the case with the group dynamic between the Floyd members...it's really not our concern and there's nothing we can do about it....except maybe get over it ourselves.

And if we got bodily fluidized at a concert, it was no big whoop.

It's almost like a postmodern anti-fan thing. Previously, people wanted to get close to their idols, but it's not hip now. Now it seems, people want them to change into what they want them to become, seek therapy, go through detox, get a facelift, find a fashion consultant. We can't accept them for what they are (let alone for what they create) anymore. Is it to make ourselves feel better, that we can tell our internet buddies how much better we are because we know so-and-so has a drug problem or that someone else really needs their teeth straightened or to get a new hairdo? Kinda twisted, if you ask me.

Kind of veered off the Roger topic there at the end, but I was sort of on a roll.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

oh come on guys, I know each and everyone of you Roger haters have done something hurtful that you reget later in life. I know I have and I don't like it when people rube it in my face. He is only human not Jesus Christ.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

I actually think that what Roger did was warranted. From what I've seen and read the fan that he spit it at was being quite an Edit. I'd have done the same thing.

Nothing passes my filter- David
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

enigma00 wrote:I actually think that what Roger did was warranted. From what I've seen and read the fan that he spit it at was being quite an Edit. I'd have done the same thing.
I'm sure other musicians/actors/sportsstars/famous people have lashed out at fans in much more vicious ways than spitting. I mean, it's only spitting! Yeah, gross, especially if you don't like the person (me, I probably wouldn't shower for a while, :lol: but then again I've never been an a**hole at a show either), but geez. People need to put things in perspective.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

It's not like Roger kicked fans out of the audience at numerous concerts, cancelled a number of shows because he did not feel like playing, threatened to officially kick every member out of "HIS" group during a live performance if they did not stop dancing with Mr. Brownstone, eventually became the sole owner of a popular band name (trademark, if you like), beat the crap out of a security member at another concert, and to top it all off, incited a riot at yet another concert :lol:

Anybody know who did all of the above?