watching tv

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

watching tv

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i just had to use this forum to mention my undying love for the works of John Sullivan. That's right, Only Fools And Horses.

Nobody makes comedy like the brits, and nobody makes dramatic comedy quite so well either. With fully rounded characters in every day situations making money e.t.c with personalities everyone can relate to, this has to be the most realistic comedy show ever. The cockney language is just great and quite honestly anyone watching who wasn't moved by the sight or Del, Rodney and Albert walking down the path, now millionaires must be a robot.

Ok, so the recent epiodes haven't been much cop, but who cares? With a legacy like the show has i don't think they matter, and you just know the last episode when it comes is going to be a true gem. The dialouge, my god, the most perfect dialouge to ever appear on tv, and it even shows tv can be immensly moving and funny without reosrting to crude humour very often.

Truely brilliant, John Sullivan, i take my hat of to you.

Anyway, anyone else got favourite show they want to talk about?
Neil

Post by Neil »

You're right David - Only Fools is just class. It doesn't matter how many times the BBC reruns old episodes - they're still funny.

The episode when Del falls over next to the bar is world class! Also the episode with the chandilier falling on the floor is cool.

The script is littered with great gags..

Trig - "I've had the same broom for 15 years.. it's had 5 new heads and 4 new handles" :lol:

My favourite show on TV right now is Shooting Stars! Vic is a genious!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Simpsons and Seinfeld, many of my life lessons were learned with these two shows, hell, i could take out everything i learned freshman year and replace it with more Simpsons and Seinfeld themes and i would be a smarter person. the characters are unforgettable and theyre just great shows. i also love the wonder years, the best coming of age show ever
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Always catch Simpsons when I can. Many layers in each show. You need to watch each one a few times to catch all of the oblique references, etc.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

I live in the US, so for the last couple of years the only exposure i've had to OFAH is a couple of coverted tapes with not very good picture quality. Luckily, i'm going home for a while in 4 weeks, and have every intention of going on an OFAH blitz. I have to agree with David that OFAH is the greatest sitcom in the history of the world, ever, bar none, with no exceptions. Blackadder comes in second, but that at least is available on this side of the Atlantic, and I was lucky enough to get the whole series on DVD for Xmas a couple of years ago.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I own series 1 to series 7 of it on video, buying the christmas episodes after my next pay day.

The league of gentlemen is another of my favourite shows, everything about it is so strange and sinister it really does make for a dark half hour when you watch it. Ok, so series 3 was bad, it doesn't matter, series 1 and series 2 were both hilarious and i urge anyone not already in love with royston vassey to watch it some more and you soon will be addicted.

Classic moments like "are you local" and "you're my wife now" just couldn't appear in any other show, it's just brilliant.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Can I have some of your special stuff?

Firengine!!!!

Micky love... !!!

One, three, seven... Twelvetey.

We haven't sold a thing!!!

Pauline's pens!! Hahaha

Babs cabs!!!

I am getting a little carried away remembering various one liners that bring together a whole load of comedy. If you people around the world haven't seen the league of gentlemen and you like some dark british comedy, get hold of the first 2 series!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: These series inspired a generation!
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Series one was better than the others eh? Characters were more original, the road story worked better than the nose bleed story and was a great narrative to hold it together.

And legsacimbo or whatever they're called were great in it

"you stand before the court with alligations of being gay!"

"We didn't burn them"

Aunt Val and Uncle Harvey were my favourite characters of it, just the monet Banjamin heard them leave the house and managed to break out of his room only to see them staring back a him (series 2, last episode i think) it was just brilliant.

OFAH is better though, not that they can really be compared.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Anyone living in the USA that wants to see Britcoms have 2 ways to see them.! you can watch BBCAmerica if your cable or sat has it on them,2 you also can see a limited number of shows on your PBS(PublicBroadcastingStation).I believe just about every states PBS shows them so checkout thier website & look for Britcoms.I'm really lucky I live near the boarder between Kentucky-&-West Virginia.Anyone in this viewing area W.Va shows thiers on Sat.morning starting at 9am for 3 hours,Ky shows thiers on Sun.evening starting at 7pm.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

BBC America used to be a good channel, but these days the majority of its output seems to be endless repeats of home improvement shows (ie. Ground Force & Changing Rooms). They still refuse to play Only Fools & Horses, although they seem perfectly happy to show Monty Python and keeping Up Appearances over and over. Now I'm a huge Monty Python fan, but even I'm getting sick of the same episodes over and over.
One good point though, they have started showing The Office.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Keeping Up Appearances is good but they only made I think 40 of them & play them to death,enough already.I like MyHero,OneFootintheGrave,also HomeToRoost with the late John Thaw is good.There is a lot of good old &new 1s without playing 1 to death.1 more that's pretty good is Last of the Summer Wine but you got to figure it can't go on for ever,they lost 2 more cast members this year.Strange how that happened they were married on the show,probally say they moved somewhere for warmer weather.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

flashback wrote:probally say they moved somewhere for warmer weather.
That almost made me cry. :cry: