Live At Pompeii DVD

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Are You Going To Buy A Copy Of The Live At Pompeii DVD?

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 44

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Who is the bloke that voted NO? :lol:
Pompeii is a classic and everybody should at least one copy in my humble opinion!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Let's lynch him.

You're BACK!!!!!! :D :D :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Mother wrote:
Let's lynch him.

Oh Mother, tell me why? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

kjnpf wrote:
Mother wrote: Let's lynch him.

Oh Mother, tell me why? :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Cause they have no taste?

Just kidding, but you probably already knew that. Maybe the poor guy just doesn't have a DVD player? Although even if I didn't have one (and I didn't up until a week ago), I'd get the DVD anyway.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

crofloyd wrote:QUESTION: Would it be better with or without the crowd?
It's without and they might have overdubbed some parts or started over so it isn't a very concert atmosphere and they might as well called it Sessions at Pompeii.
I think the lack of audience makes it timeless. It separates it from the hundreds of concert films showcasing audience members with really bad haircuts and embarrassing taste in clothes defining a specific year or era in time. It makes it a work of art rather than a documentary. Documentaries are good and have their place, but I'd rather have the piece of art itself rather than a show about the art. It's more intimate.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Mother wrote: Documentaries are good and have their place, but I'd rather have the piece of art itself rather than a show about the art. It's more intimate.
Agreeed! Very well said! :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm going to buy it in the hopes that there's something "new" on it.

But from what I've seen, I don't think there is.

The way it sounds to me...the "directors cut" is simply the same version I have always owned. A friend of mine once bought a copy with the DSOTM recording footage "RESTORED"...I never knew it had been taken out.

I have owned several copies of it over the years and have always purchased them "factory new" and have never once purchased a copy without the studio footage.

I have it on VCD now...and it has the DSOTM session footage and the interviews...all exactly the way I've always had it.

So, I'll buy it anyway just to have it on DVD.
Fireland
Axe
Axe

Post by Fireland »

I haven't got a DVD player :cry: :cry: :cry: So, I'm not gonna buy it... yet! :wink:

Cheers!

PS: I didn't vote in the poll.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Fireland wrote:I haven't got a DVD player :cry: :cry: :cry: So, I'm not gonna buy it... yet! :wink:

Cheers!

Resisting forced consumerism as much as humanly possible (I have never owned a microwave and only got a cellphone last year--but that's only because we got rid of our landline), I thought I would never have the need for a DVD player. I mean, who gives a **** about what a director says about his movie, really? It's the movie itself that's important, and I can see those on VHS.

Until I heard that Pompeii was coming to DVD.

I caved. :(

But it's for art, so it's worthwhile, I guess. And it won't wear out, unlike tape, hopefully.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
Fireland wrote:I haven't got a DVD player :cry: :cry: :cry: So, I'm not gonna buy it... yet! :wink:

Cheers!

Resisting forced consumerism as much as humanly possible (I have never owned a microwave and only got a cellphone last year--but that's only because we got rid of our landline), I thought I would never have the need for a DVD player. I mean, who gives a **** about what a director says about his movie, really? It's the movie itself that's important, and I can see those on VHS.

Until I heard that Pompeii was coming to DVD.

I caved. :(

But it's for art, so it's worthwhile, I guess. And it won't wear out, unlike tape, hopefully.
But getting a DVD player isn't about the extras for me - it's about the sound/picture quality. It's soooo much better than VHS its untrue! People who haven't got a DVD player always claim that a slight improvement in viewing quality doesn't justify the cost. But when they do get one - it's 'why didn't I get one earlier!!??' :wink:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Not Now Neil wrote:But getting a DVD player isn't about the extras for me - it's about the sound/picture quality. It's soooo much better than VHS its untrue! People who haven't got a DVD player always claim that a slight improvement in viewing quality doesn't justify the cost. But when they do get one - it's 'why didn't I get one earlier!!??' :wink:
Also, the quality does not deteriorate over time like with a mechanical VHS contraption.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Just how much DSOTM Session Footage is new!!??

Post by bmet »

It would be nice to know just how much new session footage there is?
The actual concert footage sounds the same,there appears to be a
director's interview segment and band info,photo, and facts chapters.
But the amount of session footage is still rather vaguely presented
on the Brain Damage Announcement Page!!!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I bought Mind Over Matter - The Images Of Pink Floyd the other day, which has evidently been reissued because it features the artwork for Is There Anybody Out There?, Echoes and the Live At Pompeii DVD, plus other things like advertisements for the 1997 reissues. :)

Er...
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

People who haven't got a DVD player always claim that a slight improvement in viewing quality doesn't justify the cost. But when they do get one - it's 'why didn't I get one earlier!!??' :wink:
That is soooo me, :lol: , until I got my DVD player!

I don't know why I didn't get one earlier!! :lol: :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

i'll buy it !