Lennon/McCartney. Jagger/Richards. Barrett/Waters?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Lennon/McCartney. Jagger/Richards. Barrett/Waters?

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

David's posts re: geniuses got me thinking...what if Syd never zerked out and remained in control of his facilities? Would he and Roger have formed the most incredible songwriting duo of the 20th century putting those other two to shame or what? Or was Syd's departure the impetus for Roger's talents to come forth? Conjectures? Hypothetical Scenarios? Opinions?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I dont know if Syd could have well gotten past the psychadelic phase of the 60s, but of course, no one does. also, much of DSOTM was written based on Syd i think, and thats what got Pink Floyd to be a household name, so would they have had that inspiration? this is like asking what would happen if Russia would have never entered WWI.......too hard
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I believe that Roger's and, er, Roger's ideas would have diverged too, er, divergingly, for a successful partnership to be, uh, created. Sorry, my mind's gone today. As per usual. :-#
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

could you imagine a pink floyd without Shine on...

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

I believe that if syd had remained in the band, it would not be as successful as Floyd became.
Having Syd leave going insane really gave the band foundations in a way. As all you floydians know, WYWH and DOSTM was based and written with syd in mind and would have not had the same emotion in it.
Roger Waters would not have taken over, and the songs wouldn't be the same.
The whole of the WYWH album wouldn't really have been created....could you imagine a Pink Floyd without Shine on and Wish you were here???
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I agree a lot with Comfortably_Floyd. Besides the fact that Waters didn't WANT to be a songwriter/frontman, in any way. He just wanted nice cars and chicks...he said so himself. ;) Guess he didn't know he had it in him.

That being said, I wonder what he thought of himself after writing such a lovely masterpiece as "Julia Dream"...do you think he even knew he was capable of something so beautiful?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Comfortably_Floyd wrote:I believe that if syd had remained in the band, it would not be as successful as Floyd became.
Having Syd leave going insane really gave the band foundations in a way. As all you floydians know, WYWH and DOSTM was based and written with syd in mind and would have not had the same emotion in it.
Roger Waters would not have taken over, and the songs wouldn't be the same.
The whole of the WYWH album wouldn't really have been created....could you imagine a Pink Floyd without Shine on and Wish you were here???
Well, of course those wouldn't have necessarily existed in those exact forms...we're talking about possible pasts! Syd, however, wasn't the *sole* subject or reasons for those albums, or The Wall. There's still the theme of societal pressures, Money, Us and Them, Time and death in DSOTM. Without the theme of madness it (I'm just assuming a different sort of DSOTM would exist in some form or another for the sake of this argument) may have taken a more political turn. Remember, Roger still had the death of his father to work out in his lyrics, regardless. WYWH may have still played with the theme of the music industry. Of course SOYCD wouldn't have existed as we know it...maybe WYWH would've been blended with more Animals overtones...I'm thinking Dogs in the Music Business type themes.
SydsMadcapGirl wrote:I agree a lot with Comfortably_Floyd. Besides the fact that Waters didn't WANT to be a songwriter/frontman, in any way. He just wanted nice cars and chicks...he said so himself. ;) Guess he didn't know he had it in him.

That being said, I wonder what he thought of himself after writing such a lovely masterpiece as "Julia Dream"...do you think he even knew he was capable of something so beautiful?
I hadn't heard that quote from him, I am guessing it is something he said early in his career? I think he certainly changed his focus, as we all do as we mature and discover our talents and strengths. (See my post under the Syd Genius thread http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/for/v ... .php?t=950 on how I describe Roger's flame from being different than Syd's to see what I'm getting at as Rog's talents being more "latent"). I don't think his talents or drive to be heard and communicate were repressable, even though he may not have thought at the time that is what he wanted. In fact, when he started out in whatever Floyd preincarnation at the time he was on lead guitar, then rhythm guitar, then bass, and his fear was that he'd end up on drums, not exactly the thoughts of someone who wanted to recede into the background!

Of course this is all hypothetical...
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

If Syd had stayed in the band, what the albums would talk about? What concepts would be? Time, rebellion, childhood, the fall of society, Space, Love, Meditation (think about an ambiental PF album with the sounds of calm!), modern technology, people as scarecrowes...
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Mother, it is something he has said referencing his early days, yes. I cannot recall exactly where I've seen/heard that. My point being that even though in the beginning his intentions were a bit on the shallow side, he eventually of course (sooner, rather than later) stepped up to the plate...and ended up finding a talent he never knew he had.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Had Syd never left, we would be talking about a completely different band. We wouldn't be talking about Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall. Who knows what we would be talking about?
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Probally wouldn't even be a NeptunePinkFloyd site,P-F wouldn't be P-F as we have come to know & love.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Have fun with it. Don't be so literal. Think Spinal Tap and The Rutles, not a PBS analytical documentary.

Giant Inflatable Gnomes and Scarecrows, anyone? :)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Mother wrote:Giant Inflatable Gnomes and Scarecrows, anyone? :)
LOL. Sounds like something from The Wicker Man... 8-[
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Hmm, to be honest, i don't think Pink Floyd would have lasted, and that come the start of the 70's they would be putting their instuments away.

However, all of them would have succesful solo careers.

But if Syd stayed with them, what do you think they would have sounded like?
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

David Smith wrote:Hmm, to be honest, i don't think Pink Floyd would have lasted, and that come the start of the 70's they would be putting their instuments away.

However, all of them would have succesful solo careers.

But if Syd stayed with them, what do you think they would have sounded like?
Perhaps in the vein of T.Rex, who actually were successful in the 70s? Marc Bolan admittedly idolized Barrett.
Fireland
Axe
Axe

Post by Fireland »

As a Beatles fan, I have to say no one can beat Lennon/McCartney!! (althought they almost never wrote songs side by side).
If Syd would have stayed in Pink Floyd, the band would have never been the same, I think they would have been less prog-rock and more psychedelic-rock. They would have never put out an album like DSOTM, but we can't know if their albums would have been better! Well, it's so difficult to explain I think haha.

Cheers!