Lennon/McCartney. Jagger/Richards. Barrett/Waters?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I'm a firm believer that they never would have achieved the success that they did had Syd remained in the band. Syd wanted pop songs and the others were much more open to experimentation. The addition of Dave really gave them some direction and finally Roger had someone to interpret his vision.
Neil

Post by Neil »

quicksilver wrote:I'm a firm believer that they never would have achieved the success that they did had Syd remained in the band. Syd wanted pop songs and the others were much more open to experimentation. The addition of Dave really gave them some direction and finally Roger had someone to interpret his vision.
[-D-] great post
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

quicksilver wrote:I'm a firm believer that they never would have achieved the success that they did had Syd remained in the band. Syd wanted pop songs and the others were much more open to experimentation. The addition of Dave really gave them some direction and finally Roger had someone to interpret his vision.
I clearly remember a quote on some video I have somewhere of Roger Waters mumbling in his forced middle class accent that they wanted to be a pop band. I think it was used in the Pink Floyd & Syd Barrett story/Omnibus/VH1 thing by Outmore Productions Ltd. That would seem contradictory to your statement. :evil: Hahahahaha. I am a nasty poster!! But a poster of what? A landscape? I think I may be mad!

Syd was rather experimental on the stage. Especially when he did nothing! But I suppose that was an indication of his "illness".

Just to finish my post I'd like to say Pink Floyd would not have lasted long had Syd stayed for too long. Their classic albums would not have been inspired! I don't know. I am just rib ram a rambling right now! :lol:
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Keith Jordan wrote:
I clearly remember a quote on some video I have somewhere of Roger Waters mumbling in his forced middle class accent that they wanted to be a pop band. I think it was used in the Pink Floyd & Syd Barrett story/Omnibus/VH1 thing by Outmore Productions Ltd. That would seem contradictory to your statement. :evil: Hahahahaha. I am a nasty poster!! But a poster of what? A landscape? I think I may be mad!

Syd was rather experimental on the stage. Especially when he did nothing! But I suppose that was an indication of his "illness".

Just to finish my post I'd like to say Pink Floyd would not have lasted long had Syd stayed for too long. Their classic albums would not have been inspired! I don't know. I am just rib ram a rambling right now! :lol:
I think that when you start as a band you probably want to have pop hits because that's what sells records and affords you the time in the studio. I think after Piper, Syd wanted to keep going in that direction but the rest of the band was more into experimentation. That definately showed in ASFOS.

I agree, Syd was very experimental on stage and the band was trying to find a way to "bottle it" and transfer that energy to the studio. I may be way off base here, but IMO Dave was more suited for this type of playing than Syd.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

In another post on this website I stated that I thought that Syd was very experimental in his use of slide, fuzz, wah-wah, etc in a manner (especially live--what we can hear of it) that noone else was really doing at that time. He got some great sounds outta that guitar! 8)
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Syd was great in his own right.IMO if he had been able to stay he would have held the others back,especially Roger.It's no fun being 2nd fiddle which is what Roger would have been to Syd.The single greatest thing the band did was when they decideed to not pick Syd up that first time.