I hear voices

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

I hear voices

Post by David Smith »

Ok, Dark side of the moon, amazing right? But the people that talk between songs, i understand most of them but what does the voice at the start of Great Gig In The Sky? It sounds like i'm not afraid of dyine in any temple of doom (that bit right)?

Also half way through the song someone speaks again. Can't get a word of it.

My second song for questioning is Us and Them where someone speaks (i think it's after the second verse) and go on for a few seconds. Anyone know what this guy says?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: I hear voices

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

David Smith wrote:Ok, Dark side of the moon, amazing right?
Ah yeah.
David Smith wrote:But the people that talk between songs, i understand most of them but what does the voice at the start of Great Gig In The Sky? It sounds like i'm not afraid of dyine in any temple of doom (that bit right)?
0:38 (Track-time) - "And I'm not frightened of dying. Anytime will do. I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it. You gotta go sometime." (Spoken by Jerry Driscoll, AKA Jerry the Irish Doorman. He was the doorman at Abbey Road Studios in 1972.)
David Smith wrote: Also half way through the song someone speaks again. Can't get a word of it.
3:33 - "I never said I was frightened of dying" (Spoken by Puddy Watts, the second wife of Peter Watts. Peter Watts worked for Pink Floyd from 1967-1974 (Roadie & sound engineer. He was Pink Floyd's chief engineer in 1970, and later their road manager). I used to think she was saying "If you hear this whisper, you're dying." I sometimes pretend that is the case.
David Smith wrote: My second song for questioning is Us and Them where someone speaks (i think it's after the second verse) and go on for a few seconds. Anyone know what this guy says?
4:55 - "I mean, they're gonna kill ya, so if you give em a quick, short, sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean, he get off lightly, cos I would've given him a thrashing. I only hit him once. It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean, good manners don't cost nothing, do they, eh? (Spoken by Roger The Hat, a former roadie)
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

These messages are the answers at strange questions. The band asked everybody in and around the studios to say the first answer they could think of. Some of these answers were mixed in the album. Even Paul McCartney said something, which isn't on the album.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Syd_Count wrote:Even Paul McCartney said something, which isn't on the album.
Pity that's never turned up on a RoIO... or has it? :-s
Marshall
Embryo
Embryo

Voices

Post by Marshall »

So what did Paul say? Anyone know?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I wish I knew.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yeah, I would be interested to know what Paul said!! :D I think I may write to Roger Waters and ask him! :)
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Maybe he said that he wishes he was in Pink Floyd.. :lol: :wink:
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

The reason Paul's answers weren't included was because, being used to dealing with the media, his answers to the questions asked were guarded.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

dont forget about:

"I certainly was in the right"

and

"I dont remember, I was pretty drunk at the time" I think thats it...

*BONUS*

Which album/song is this from?:

Man- "and displinary remains mercifly"

Woman- "yes and uh maddam with you, ('what do you think' but it sounds like 'Derik') of this star nonsense, well which is it?"

Man- "Yeah Im sure of it."

Someone will have to correct me on that one. Thats as close as I can tell it says....
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

meddler wrote: Which album/song is this from?:

Man- "and displinary remains mercifly"

Woman- "yes and uh maddam with you, ('what do you think' but it sounds like 'Derik') of this star nonsense, well which is it?"

Man- "Yeah Im sure of it."

Someone will have to correct me on that one. Thats as close as I can tell it says....
Wish You Were Here, of course. I haven't got the slightest idea what it means.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Just supposed to be someone switching through radio stations, doubt there's any deep meaning to it.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

If it's from a real radio show, which I suspect it is, I want it now. :|
In The Flesh?
Embryo
Embryo

WYWH

Post by In The Flesh? »

Hi, everyone. The sounds in the beginning of WYWH is I believe David Gilmour flipping through the radio stations. I believe they actually recorded that in David's car outside the studio. Pretty cool.

I can't remember which show, where I read this, or if it is even true but supposedly at least one show instead of plying the recorded sounds at the beginning of the song, the actually flipped through the radio stations in real time. Anybody know which show that really happened?

-Dani
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I have a copy of WYWH that its technically at the end of Have a Cigar, and another that its before Wish You Were Here. Anyone else have that version? I have no idea what radio program but I know that before WYWH during concerts they did flip threw local radio stations for the part... I understood they did that for every concert?... I even have a copy of a concert were they stopped on a Led Zeppelin song playing for about 8 seconds, among other songs and commercials... I'll look for which date it is... I know it was Cleveland or Oakland 77.