Oasis

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

Oasis

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

i have had random conversations with random people about how i love pink floyd and roger waters solo work. Quite a few times after talking about how i love floyd and rogers work, they will then move on to saying "if you like them, then you must like Oasis!"
i used to like Oasis when i was younger, but i can't stand Liam....infact i would probably like to inflict pain on him :twisted:,
Does anyone see the link between floyd and Oasis??
i don't think the music is alike at all, or even in the same catagory.... do you?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The only link is that they are two bands. And that is where they end!! :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Well, Noel Gallagher loves The Wall and ripped off (to my mind, anyway) 'The Show Must Go On' for 'Go Let It Out' (you'll know the bit when you hear it)... Er...
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Both my wife and I are fans of Pink Floyd and Oasis, indeed it was our mutual liking of both bands that led to us meeting. One common link between them could be that both bands fantastic live.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

IMO,Oasis couldn't hold Pink Floyd a light to **** by let alone them being in the same league.Which come to think of it neither can anybody else.

It may not be a swear word, but that doesn't mean you have to use it- Moderator
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Back in the day Oasis were one of my fave bands. The first two albums especially are classics (imo), but I feel something was lost when Bonehead and Guigsy quit. Also Liam really is a prize ****. I could never understand why Noel didn't just get rid of Liam, and take over lead vocals himself, he's a much better singer!! (Which reminds me, does anyone know where I can get hold of the Unplugged set they did, from what I've heard of it, it would be another classic!! 8) )

I can't really see any similarities between Oasis and Floyd :?

Oasis are pretty much a good old rock 'n' roll band, where as Pink Floyd (and Rogers solo stuff) are so much more... :D
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Yeah, I was a huge Oasis fan around 94-96, and I still think their first 2 albums are good. After Morning Glory, they've been more or less rubbish though... :(

Can't really see any similarities with Oasis & Pink Floyd. If you wanna hear britpop band that sounds a bit like Pink Floyd, try Mansun (especially their second album 'Six', which is one of the best prog-rock albums ever IMHO).
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I was a fan of Oasis from '95-'96. Be Here Now really disappointed me. I still think Morning Glory is a classic, though.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I was a fan of Oasis from '95-'96. Be Here Now really disappointed me. I still think Morning Glory is a classic, though.
Here here!! :)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I don't really see how you could like Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe but dislike Be Here Now. All their albums are exactly the same, anyway, so what's the difference? 'D'You Know What I Mean', 'My Big Mouth', 'I Hope, I Think, I Know', 'Be Here Now' and 'All Around The World' are all great Oasis songs, in my opinion, and the others are good songs, too. It's just over-long. 'All Around The World' and 'It's Gettin' Better (Man!)' suffer from this in particular. 8-[
Fireland
Axe
Axe

Post by Fireland »

I love both bands. After reading a lot of interviews to Noel, the only thing I can say is that Noel likes/loves Pink Floyd. I like all the Oasis albums, but they are getting boring (it's been like 7 months from the last time I listened to their last album). They should change a bit, but in the good way, I mean, I don't want them to do hip-hop music for little kids (that reminds me a bit of Gorillaz :lol: ). Their two first albums are classic in my opinion, and their b-sides compilation (The Masterplan) is really good too.

Cheers!
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

BE HERE NOW is probably their weakest album, certainly Noel Gallagher doesn't like it, and they don'r play any songs from it in their live shows any more. It sounds like a band overdoing it with their cocaine intake, which according to most people in the bands inner circle is exactly what it was.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Definitly Maybe i feel was a brilliant piece of work, this and morning glory are 2 of the best albums of my life time (Automatic For The People and The Stone Roses are about the only better albums) and i feel the songs are anthemic and truly brilliant, many like Wonderwall and cigarettes and Alcohol are timeless classics.

Be Here Now, i feel the reason has such a bad reputation is because the songs are to poppy with poor lyrics, but most importantly complete over production. I see nothing wrong with a good bit of production, but when it's a rock'n' roll band like oasis who historicaly are minimalists using orchastras it's just awful.

Recently they've just been a bit boring, to reliant upon acoustic songs and ultimatly are probably going to turn out like Paul Weller. Still, they do have their moments as Heathen Chemistry proved, an album half made up of good songs if ever there was one.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think Heathen Chemistry is a great record. 'Little by Little' and 'Stop crying your heart out' are the 2 best tracks for me. I saw Oasis in 2000 at Wembley stadium - it was a great gig. I can't really see a Floyd link though..

My favourite Oasis song is 'Aquiesce' which is on Masterplan - great song :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

It's 'Acquiesce', 'Cast No Shadow', 'Little By Little', 'Rock And Roll Star', 'Live Forever', 'The Masterplan' and 'D'You Know What I Mean' for me! :P