OBSCURE RECORDINGS

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
stevenpenny
Embryo
Embryo

OBSCURE RECORDINGS

Post by stevenpenny »

Can anybody help with the following:

I have been given some very old and somewhat dubious recordings that appear to be Floyd/Barrett, but I cannot find them in any list.

Susans lungs
Sunshine
Stoned Alone
Kingbee (I know the history of this but was unaware that it was ever released)

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Penny
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Susan's lungs- Rare Syd Barret track performed live but not put to album

Sunshine- An early version of Remember A Day and is now thought to be a working title for a section of Matilda Mother

Stoned Alone- Possibally an alternative title for the track I Get Stoned that was an unused track from the floyd's first recording session

Kingbee- an early floyd song that some beleive to be a fake
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I've heard Lucy Leave/Kingbee and I don't believe it's a fake. It sounds like Floyd. At least Syd sings on it. In fact even the band members confirmed that they played it in the interviews.

I'm not sure about Susan's Lungs. Wasn't it a misheard title? I don't think there is any existing recording?

Stoned Alone - also a title for the improvisational instrumental Floyd played mostly in the second half of 1967 aka Reaction In G or Reactioning.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

David Smith wrote:Stoned Alone- Possibally an alternative title for the track I Get Stoned that was an unused track from the floyd's first recording session
I downloaded Stoned alone once, but it turned out to be Vegetalbe man. :?
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

There're 2-3 recordings of reaction in g/stoned alone/i got stoned ect. etc. It's basically a guitar track, not bad, either. It was played on the 2 audience recordings that came out of 1967, and also on that BBC tape that has interviews on it.
stevenpenny
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stevenpenny »

Many Thanks for all the replies, the questions were obviously too easy :-))

Does anyone know of a difinitive PF discography that includes all the unreleased material? In addition to the tracks I mentioned in my last post I am uncertain of the origins of the following:

Lucy Leave (I believe this was Syd's demo with Bob Close on lead guitar but maybe I am just imagining it!!!!!
Stanley The Simpleton
Scream Thy Last Scream (Has the Barrett signiture but thats about all)
Clownsfull
One in a Million
If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Steve Penny
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

One in a Million was recorded once in 1967, and was indeed a barret track. Stanley the Simpleton is a well-produced fake, Lucy Leave is the same as Kingbee, Scream the Last Scream is a well-known track, and it has a studio recording/everything else. I haven't heard clownsful. Scream thy last Scream is found on 2 BBC recordings, hippy happy fair, and another live, audience recording. One on a Million is also foudn on hippy happy fair, I believe, and Lucy Leave is found with Kingbey.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

stevenpenny wrote: If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Steve Penny
check the "laughing madcaps" society and the hygiy ( have you got it yet= last song they tried as a fiveform band) collection. i believe there?s about everything you need to know... :wink:

peace
zag
stevenpenny
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stevenpenny »

Interesting point that Kingbee and Lucy Leave are the same track.

Not certain what I have but my Kingbee is in a trad blues format whereas Lucy Leave has a much more uptempo double-four time rythmn much favoured in the 60's by bands such as Hermans Hermits.

Even the words are different.......anyway of finding out which one of these tracks is genuine?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

stevenpenny wrote:Interesting point that Kingbee and Lucy Leave are the same track.
they?re not

peace
zag
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

stevenpenny wrote:
Interesting point that Kingbee and Lucy Leave are the same track.

Zag wrote:
they?re not

Ditto
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

David Smith wrote:Sunshine- An early version of Remember A Day and is now thought to be a working title for a section of Matilda Mother
Because of this post I relistened some of the older stuff I found at KaZaa and it's hard to imagine Sunshine being Remember a day or Matilda Mother. The version I have is a 1.30 minute instrumental jam kinda thing.
How come people know so much, where do you find al this information besides on this forum. Is there a Pink Floyd 'bible' somewhere (on the internet)?
Reaction (in g) and Stoned alone are indeed the same song.
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

They're not the same track, but they were on the same demo, allegedly.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

rosm wrote:
How come people know so much, where do you find al this information besides on this forum. Is there a Pink Floyd 'bible' somewhere (on the internet)?
:wink: there?s a whole lot of prophets in "LaughingMadcaps"-society (special field early p.f. and syd, naturally), try google and good luck. 8)

peace
zag
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LaughingMadcaps

Most of these tracks are on HYGIY (http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/hygiy/)

from posts there-

Susan's Lungs is an outfake -

(Steve - one of the poeple responsable for the HYGIY set)

"It's a minute of the "Silas Lang" backing track (found on HYGIY4 in better
quality), fed through a chorus or flanger. They dubbed the "vocal" over
that. (I thought it was German, but what do I know? Everything sounds the same through a megaphone.) I guess there's supposed to be some clever pun going on between Silas Lang and Susan's Lungs."

Clownsfull is something else retitled IIRC its the smae untitled Floyd instrimental that also been misnamed Sunshine, Madcaps Embrace and In the Beachwood.