Patrik wrote:Hi Mosepa!
Have you stepped up on "No Heaven And No Hell"? if not, is the lyrics published somewhere here?
Sussi (in our band) and me thinks it would be fun to try to write some music for it. If we succed with a good result we probably make a recording with the whole band.
Hello, Patrik...no, I haven't stepped up on No Heaven and No Hell yet...so, feel free. It'll be good to have you on board.
1. Obviously the point of this whole thing is to take the tribute idea one step further and actually try to emulate the Pink Floyd writing technique - so we should think about how PF albums work as a whole.
1a. We need to consider the themes to deal with (lyrically and musically),
1b. the running order (I assume we're not going to be naive enough to leave the running order as it is on the hoax cover, since we don't know how the tracks will segue when they're written),
1c. and if we want to copy the 'cyclic' nature of the 70's albums (with the ends of the album being related to the beginning, eg heartbeat on DSOTM, Shine On, POTW, and Outside the Wall).
2. Are we going for a concept album that tells a story (The Wall, KAOS), a concept album with repeated musical themes (DSOTM, WYWH), a concept album in so much as we have a general 'theme' (Division Bell, being communication), or just a plain old non-conceptual album?
3. If we want some kind of musical cohesion between the tracks, then I suggest we get everyone to record demos, and then listen to the others' work and adapt our own if there are any stand out musical phrases or sequences. This would also give us a chance to work out a running order and work on segues.
4. David, clearly having overthought this idea
1a. I don't know what anyone else has come up with so far, but I have already completed a demo of Come And See...and the lyrics seem to deal with the "persistence of hope" if you will. Given that the lyrics cwta_e has come up with for NHANH deal with hope and the loss/regaining of it, perhaps "hope" would be a good theme for us to latch on to. After all, we hope that PF will give us one more album or show or something. We hope that the boys can get it together again.
Hope seems to make sense...although I don't know how it would fit in with the title "Double Core"...especially since I don't know what that refers to in the first place.
1b. I just sort of took it for granted that the running order would follow the bogus cd booklet...but it doesn't have to, I suppose. I've approached Come And See in such a way that the beginning and ending would fit just about anything that could come before and after it. For example, Come And See begins with a long synth drone that could fade up from underneath whatever came before it...and the ending (I won't get too specific because I don't want to spoil it,) could lead into just about anything else.
1c. This is something I hadn't really taken into consideration...but it's a good point. The idea of this whole thing is to record what we think a reunion album might sound like...and all this time, I've been viewing this as simply "the follow-up to TDB."
With Roger coming back on board, the cyclic fascination would undoubtedly come back. Well spotted, mate
2. We COULD do a "non-conceputal" album...but I think that would kind of piss on the very concept of what we're doing here in the first place.
My vote is for a concept album with a general theme...that way, everyone is still free to write about the theme without having to worry about whether or not it's going to advance a story.
This way, those of us who have already written lyrics won't have to rewrite them
3. This is a wonderful idea...it's also kind of a connection to TDB in that we will all have to communicate with each other in order to pull this off. Also, by communicating with each other and "working together," the overall cohesion of the album should be strengthened.
I think we're onto something now, gang.
4. No more than I have been, my friend
It's not a bad thing.
EDIT: Just out of curiosity, does everyone involved in this use myspace? If so, I could set up a Double Core page on myspace where we could have a central location to exchange ideas that wouldn't involve spoiling surprises for the community here.