My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mosespa

Re: My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

Post by mosespa »

space triangle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:13 pm

According to the official music video 'Childhood's End' could have a lot to do with The Vietnam War and protest against it.
Who directed the video?

Because often, video directors have nothing to do with the composition of the music and vice versa.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Why are we even discussing this? Here are the freakin' lyrics:

"You shout in your sleep
Perhaps the price is just too steep
Is your conscious at rest
If once put to the test
You awake with a start
To just the beating of your heart
Just one man beneath the sky
Just two ears just two eyes

You set sail across the sea
Of long past thoughts and memories
Childhood's end your fantasies
Merge with harsh realities
And then as the sail is hoist
You find your eyes are growing moist
And all the fears never voiced
Say you have to make the final choice

Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why
Some are born some men die
Beneath one infinite sky
There'll be war there'll be peace
But everything one day will cease
All the iron turn to rust
All the proud men turn to dust
So all things time will mend
And so this song will end"

Looks to me like it has more in common with Roger's lyrics for "Time" than it does with war (mentioned by name exactly the same number of times as "time" is, as it happens,) or with Clarke's book.

But, hey...that's just me. I read what's there, not what I wish were there. *shrug*
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:54 am Roger tried to encourage both David and Rick to write more lyrics for the songs.
Once? He wasn't encouraging from DSOTM on.
space triangle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:54 am Waters: ''People make a mistake if they think I enjoy sitting at home brainstorming around the lyrics. I would have preferred to have been on the sailing as the rest of the band, or playing the golf with them.
I don't believe him.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:58 am Roger's own contributions were the laziest.(Ummagumma)
Wright and Mason sound rather lazy as well, and Gilmour sounds like an amateur.
penguinzzz wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:57 am The point was that Waters isn't referring to AHM when he talks about being bored with what they were playing
Because it was new at the time. He got bored with it pretty quick.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 am Roger wrote the lyrics to "Stay"
Some of those lyrics sound like Rick Wright lyrics (maybe because of similarities to Summer '68). I figured Waters helped him on this one. Is there an interview or something where one of them mentions it?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 amRoger wrote the lyrics to "Stay"
Kerry King wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 am Some of those lyrics sound like Rick Wright lyrics (maybe because of similarities to Summer '68). I figured Waters helped him on this one. Is there an interview or something where one of them mentions it?
Not that I've come across, but according to Andy Mabbett's Pink Floyd: The Music & The Mystery, the lyrics are credited to Waters and the music is credited to Wright, just like "Burning Bridges" and "Us and Them".
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:10 amNot that I've come across, but according to Andy Mabbett's Pink Floyd: The Music & The Mystery, the lyrics are credited to Waters and the music is credited to Wright, just like "Burning Bridges" and "Us and Them".
HOWEVER...according to the U.S. Copyright Database, "Stay" is credited as "Words and music by Roger Waters and Rick Wright."

AND...there are other songs listed on there that we've never heard! For example, one by Roger called "Revelation", copyrighted 2001. 🤔
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 am HOWEVER...according to the U.S. Copyright Database, "Stay" is credited as "Words and music by Roger Waters and Rick Wright."
Actually, everything from Obscured By Clouds and earlier was credited that way. Later filings were much more specific; "Dogs" is credited to "Roger Waters, words and music, David Gilmour, music"; "What Do You Want From Me?" is "David Gilmour, words and music, Polly Samson, words, Rick Wright, music."
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 amAND...there are other songs listed on there that we've never heard! For example, one by Roger called "Revelation", copyrighted 2001. 🤔
This appears to be, of all things, an Eminem song that quoted or sampled something Roger wrote, but I'm not interested enough to look it up.

I'm much more interested in a song called "Tonight I'll Help You Say Goodbye Again", recorded by country star Mickey Gilley for his album, The Songs We Made Love To, released in 1978 or 1979. This particular song is credited to "Roger Waters, words and music."

There's also a song from 1996 called "Without Blame", which is a duet between Ismaël Lô - a Senegalese singer known as "the Bob Dylan of Africa" - and Marianne Faithfull. The lyrics are in French and English, with the English being credited to Roger Waters.
https://youtu.be/hfehKorG_Qs
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 am He wasn't encouraging from DSOTM on.
That is not entirely true. Even in the "miserable" time during recording of 'The Final Cut' album, Roger asked David something along the lines of: ,"Dave, do you have any new songs written''? I remember that interview well, but I don't seem to own it anymore (maybe Ziggy can help me with that interview/ 'quote')?.
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 am
penguinzzz wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:38 amI think many observers of pre-Dark Side PF would say that Waters wrote a lot of good songs in that era despite his musical limitations, and certainly wasn't 'behind' the others in this respect.
"If", "Summer '68", and "Fat Old Sun" are all good songs.

"If" was the 18th song Roger wrote.

"Summer '68" was the 4th song Rick wrote.

"Fat Old Sun" was the 2nd song Dave wrote.

Lyrically, they were the best post-Barrett songs up to that point, as much as I personally like "Paintbox", "Julia Dream", "Green is the Colour", and "Embryo". Neither Dave nor Rick had any interest in writing about fictional situations, and they were both much more focused on developing musical textures. Had either of them felt more compelled to express themselves lyrically, and worked through it the way that Roger did, they would certainly have written great songs, but their sound would likely not have evolved into what you hear on Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon. "If" may as well have been the 6th song Roger wrote; if Dave had been responsible for "Point Me at the Sky", fans would argue that he should never write lyrics again.
Your logic is a bit baffling. I was replying to your statement 'Waters' writing really didn't catch up to theirs til '72'. As you've helpfully pointed out, he wrote far more songs than the others in this period. So where is the 'catching up'? Of course a lot of these songs may be found wanting in various ways, but as I said many are considered rather good.

As for the assertion that Gilmour & Wright would 'certainly' have written great lyrics if they'd really wanted to, obviously there's no way of knowing is there? Your underlying point appears to be that Waters has no actual lyrical talent - it's all been done through hard work. I think there may be a bit of both, though it's probably not worth getting into a whole talent/skill debate.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:01 pm
Roger obviously wrote some vocal melodies himself (though very few before The Wall). He worked them out alone, and usually for Dave's vocal range, not his (which is very limited).
This is also confusing. Which pre-Wall songs by Waters had 'vocal melodies' written by other band members?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:27 am That is not entirely true. Even in the "miserable" time during recording of 'The Final Cut' album, Roger asked David something along the lines of: ,"Dave, do you have any new songs written''? I remember that interview well, but I don't seem to own it anymore (maybe Ziggy can help me with that interview/ 'quote')?.
Yeah...he wasn't asking Dave to contribute lyrics. As they've both said, Dave wasn't happy with Roger's music for some of the songs, but didn't have any other ideas ready to go. Roger wasn't willing to postpone the recording sessions to work on the material together. If Dave had brought in "Murder" in a nearly completed form, it wasn't finding it's way onto The Final Cut.
penguinzzz wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 amI was replying to your statement 'Waters' writing really didn't catch up to theirs til '72'. As you've helpfully pointed out, he wrote far more songs than the others in this period. So where is the 'catching up'?
I was suggesting that very few of Roger's songs prior to Dark Side of the Moon were as good as the only songs Rick and Dave had written in that same time.
penguinzzz wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 amYour underlying point appears to be that Waters has no actual lyrical talent - it's all been done through hard work. I think there may be a bit of both, though it's probably not worth getting into a whole talent/skill debate.
I'd say they were all equally talented at writing lyrics, but again, Roger worked much harder at it while the others worked much harder on their music, obviously.
penguinzzz wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 amThis is also confusing. Which pre-Wall songs by Waters had 'vocal melodies' written by other band members?
This would be hard to know for certain, as my search of the copyright database has shown that they credited things differently in the late '60s and early '70s than they did later on. If we could find something where Roger was not credited with the music at all, that would answer it. But for example, something like "Fearless", which I think is in G major (I haven't played it on guitar in 20 years because it uses an open E minor tuning). The vocal is very similar to "Fat Old Sun" (same key), and they both perfectly suit Gilmour's falsetto range; it's also very similar to "Shine On" (key of G minor, I believe), which Roger admitted was difficult for him to sing because it was at the very edge of his vocal range. At that point, he had started to feel it was important for him to sing his own songs (probably eyeing an exit strategy into a solo career); and yet, it's not written for his vocal range! Strange.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Kerry King wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 am
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 am according to the U.S. Copyright Database, "Stay" is credited as "Words and music by Roger Waters and Rick Wright."
Thank you.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:10 am according to Andy Mabbett's Pink Floyd: The Music & The Mystery, the lyrics are credited to Waters and the music is credited to Wright,
I wonder where it's credited that way other than Mabbett's book?! (and wikipedia which probably got it from Mabbett's book)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 amThank you.
But as I said, all of their songs were credited that way back then - lots of "words and music by Roger Waters and David Gilmour."
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:54 am But as I said, all of their songs were credited that way back then - lots of "words and music by Roger Waters and David Gilmour."
Yeah, it's like "Written by Lennon and McCartney".
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:01 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:54 am But as I said, all of their songs were credited that way back then - lots of "words and music by Roger Waters and David Gilmour."
Yeah, it's like "Written by Lennon and McCartney".
Yes, well, I read album credits. I can see Wright/Waters in the credits. It seems plausible that Wright may have had a few cheesy lines and Waters helped him finish it. Or maybe it's all Waters. If all we have is Mabbett I wouldn't say it's definitive. Not that I really care. The lyrics are a bit weak. That could be a reflection of the film. Some interviewer should ask Waters about it. If all of the lyrics are his he's undoubtedly embarrassed by them now.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 am I can see Wright/Waters in the credits. It seems plausible that Wright may have had a few cheesy lines and Waters helped him finish it. Or maybe it's all Waters.
Either are possible, though I feel it's more likely it's the former given the similarity in content to "Summer '68".
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 am If all we have is Mabbett I wouldn't say it's definitive.
I emailed Andy, so we'll just have to wait and see. He was the editor of The Amazing Pudding for a decade, and this wasn't the first Pink Floyd book he'd written, so he might know his shit.