My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: My theory on why the Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 amIf all of the lyrics are his he's undoubtedly embarrassed by them now.
No one's debating the authorship of "The Gold It's In The..."

I'm embarrassed for him when it comes to "Two Suns in the Sunset", which is one reason why it's not an enjoyable listen for me.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 am I'm embarrassed for him when it comes to "Two Suns in the Sunset", which is one reason why it's not an enjoyable listen for me.
I honestly don't mind most of Two Suns in the Sunset. To be honest the only bit that makes me cringe is the "oh no" after "Like the moment when the brakes lock / And you slide towards the big truck" It's kind of laughable.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 am I honestly don't mind most of Two Suns in the Sunset. To be honest the only bit that makes me cringe is the "oh no" after "Like the moment when the brakes lock / And you slide towards the big truck" It's kind of laughable.
All of the sound effects and spoken bits on that song are so on-the-nose that it reminds me of the video for "Down Under".
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 am If all of the lyrics are his he's undoubtedly embarrassed by them now.
No less than Dave with his lyric on 'The Narrow Way (part III)':

''I haven't heard it in years, I've no idea what it's like. I mean it's nothing, really. I don't see it as having any real value. I've never listened to it for donkey's years, mind you, so I don't know."
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:56 am No less than Dave with his lyric on 'The Narrow Way (part III)'
Gilmour was even embarrassed by it at the time, and had his vocals intentionally mixed as low as they'd allow on the original release. Still, I'll take "The Narrow Way" over "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" any day of the week - one I listen to quite often, and the other not at all. Even with zero confidence and minimal enthusiasm, the first song he ever wrote was better than a dozen that Roger had put out by then. If Roger's own embarrassment of Radio KAOS shouldn't influence our opinion of it, then I won't let Dave's disappointment over "The Narrow Way" affect mine. I like it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

We are...so far off track.

I think my assessment of The Final Cut (and The Wall, and Pros and Cons) as "installation art" is pretty accurate. You have to make the time to go to it to experience and appreciate it.

Here's a good example, which I first saw 20 years or so ago, and maybe once or twice since.

https://youtu.be/4z2IomqcBjo

This clip has more of the images that I specifically remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjDFwMVwXQ

In trying to find a clip of it, I learned that the same artist was hired to do the visuals for Nine Inch Nails' tour in 2000, with light panels that were used throughout the show turning into film screens for a song called "La Mer" (what a coincidence...). I'm not a fan of NIN, but since Trent Reznor grew up on the opposite site of Pittsburgh from me, and "The Sleep of Reason" was installed at the Carnegie Museum of Art there for a long time, I'd be willing to bet that's how he found out about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvk25B1Tsk
Last edited by ZiggyZipgun on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Bear in mind also ''The Final Cut'' was released at a time when popular music was undergoing major changes. Synth/electronic music was on the big rise. Bands like the Pink Floyd were considered a dinosaurs. Although 'The Final Cut' was by no means a materpiece, a timing and circumstances were not favorable for the album. Heck, even Jon Carin rode on the waves of "New Wave" and synth/electronic music at the time. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwDyMRS ... rremaster2
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:00 am Although 'The Final Cut' was by no means a materpiece, a timing and circumstances were not favorable for the album.
This was also true of The Wall, but then there are those sales figures you like to quote. Plus a tour and a feature film in between?

That doesn't explain why The Final Cut is not an enjoyable listen, now.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:59 am
Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:05 am If all we have is Mabbett I wouldn't say it's definitive.
I emailed Andy, so we'll just have to wait and see. He was the editor of The Amazing Pudding for a decade, and this wasn't the first Pink Floyd book he'd written, so he might know his shit.
He might. Let us know his source if he lets you know. Not that it's important. I am not debating here. The Gold's In The... also has mediocre lyrics and I don't really care who wrote them. I like the guitar.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:32 pm The Gold's In The... also has mediocre lyrics and I don't really care who wrote them. I like the guitar.
I'm not overly convinced the lyrics of Obscured by Clouds were something Pink Floyd spent a lot of time on. Given that the album is chiefly a soundtrack to a film I suspect a lot more concern was placed on what it sounded like more than anything else.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:36 pm
Kerry King wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:32 pm The Gold's In The... also has mediocre lyrics and I don't really care who wrote them. I like the guitar.
I'm not overly convinced the lyrics of Obscured by Clouds were something Pink Floyd spent a lot of time on. Given that the album is chiefly a soundtrack to a film I suspect a lot more concern was placed on what it sounded like more than anything else.
Agreed. And because it was a film the lyrics needed to reflect the story. That can be a tough angle to write from. Not the same as just expressing oneself. I think Waters' first great lyrics are Us And Them and Brain Damaged. BD is also a rather dull tune (melodically, rhythmically). The "climax" of DSOTM has always been anticlimactic for me. Great lyric though. Most of my favorite pf lyrics come between 1975-1983. Two Suns is kind of ridiculous but there's a few good lines and I like his vocal melody. It's derivative in a way I can enjoy. TFC has some of my favorite Waters lyrics. The title track, Gunner's Dream, Paranoid Eyes, Possible Pasts...
The title track is one of their most incredible songs.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Kerry King wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 am The "climax" of DSOTM has always been anticlimactic for me.
Understandable, though I think "Eclipse" well makes up for anything Brain Damage might be lacking musically.
Kerry King wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 am The title track is one of their most incredible songs.
Yeah, "The Final Cut" is one of my favourites on that album. I think lyrically it might be the heaviest thing written for a Pink Floyd album, and in a way I admire that.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ I admire it, too. I like that it's so personal.
Kerry King wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 am Most of my favorite pf lyrics come between 1975-1983.
I know nobody cares but I meant to say Waters lyrics not PF lyrics. Barrett wrote my favorite pf lyrics: Jugband Blues. Also, some of those lyrics on Syd's solo albums are as good or better than Waters at his best.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Kerry King wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:06 am Barrett wrote my favorite pf lyrics: Jugband Blues.
Yeah those are some of Floyd's greatest lyrics. Great, but pretty haunting given the context they were were written in.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

"Roger wanted to be the guy writing the lyrics. I was very happy for him to be the guy writing the lyrics. He was very good at it. I didn’t feel I was. I wasn’t frustrated, saying, 'Read these lyrics! I want to put this song on!' The way it happened made sense." - Gilmour, 2015