Roger Waters Frankfurt getting cancelled?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roger Waters Frankfurt getting cancelled?

Post by Keith Jordan »

Ultimate Classic Rock magazine are reporting that the Roger Waters Frankfurt concert is to be cancelled for political reasons.

Waters was supposed to perform at the Festhalle concert hall in Frankfurt on May 28. The venue is not a privately held entity, as the city has a 60% share in the ownership. As such, the city council had the power to cancel Waters gig. The cancellation announcement cited Waters' boycott of Israel, his comparisons of Israel to apartheid South Africa, his declaration of his ties with the Islamist militant group Hamas and his use of a pig-shaped balloon adorned with a Star of David on previous tours.

The council also noted that the historical significance of Festhalle played a role in their decision. The venue was used for the detention of 3,000 Jewish men who were arrested after Kristallnacht in 1938, when Nazis destroyed Jewish-owned stores, buildings and synagogues.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-w ... isemitism/

Roger Waters has these gigs coming up in Germany this year

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/upcoming-concerts

2023-05-07 : Roger Waters : Barclays Arena (Hamburg), Hamburg, Germany
2023-05-09 : Roger Waters : Lanxess Arena, Cologne, Germany
2023-05-17 : Roger Waters : Mercedes Benz Arena, Berlin, Germany
2023-05-18 : Roger Waters : Mercedes Benz Arena, Berlin, Germany
2023-05-21 : Roger Waters : Olympiahalle, Munich, Germany
2023-05-28 : Roger Waters : Festhalle, Frankfurt, Germany
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Roger Waters Frankfurt getting cancelled?

Post by Yucateco »

Yes, Frankfurt is unfortunately a special case as the city and uninformed politicians have influence in the booking. We will see what the contracts say about this, but it is not looking good for Frankfurt.

Fortunately the other dates seem to go ahead although there are protests too. But as our stupid mayor of Munich commented last month, there are no legal possibilities to cancel the concert in Munich.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

There is now a call to cancel the entire German sub-leg of the European part of the tour, all 6 dates:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jewi ... -jzpsbnsk8
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

This is the Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking when you just won't shut the hell up. <ii>
Jai_the_bass
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Jai_the_bass »

Has anyone heard anything further about this show? How likely is it that RW will get the show to go ahead? I've flights and hotel already booked to travel from the UK and don't see any point losing more than I would have to (hotel is on a free cancel but flights would be lost)
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Jai_the_bass wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:17 pm Has anyone heard anything further about this show? How likely is it that RW will get the show to go ahead? I've flights and hotel already booked to travel from the UK and don't see any point losing more than I would have to (hotel is on a free cancel but flights would be lost)
If I was in your situation and the flights couldn't be cancelled, I'd probably go anyway. But, I typically stay in cheap hotels so the flights are a larger proportion of the cost for me.

I've never been to Frankfurt, but enjoyed my visits to other places in Germany.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It would appear the court decided Roger should play...

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/rog ... 0728564ad3
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Interesting, unexpected twist. He is not trying to do the same with cancelled dates in Poland it seems.

He is in trouble, despite this victory. I think that next time, if there is indeed next time in terms of touring here given his age, there will be a pressure from the onset not to even allow the tour to lift off by preventing booking the venues to start with. He is effectively "cancelled".
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Hadrian wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:11 pm Interesting, unexpected twist. He is not trying to do the same with cancelled dates in Poland it seems.

He is in trouble, despite this victory. I think that next time, if there is indeed next time in terms of touring here given his age, there will be a pressure from the onset not to even allow the tour to lift off by preventing booking the venues to start with. He is effectively "cancelled".
This will probably happen, at least in Germany there are already no showings of the live broadcast in cinemas.
FloydFlashback
Embryo
Embryo

Post by FloydFlashback »

Roger got a standing ovation, at the end of the Frankfurt show.
https://twitter.com/rogerwaters/status/ ... 1320465409