Polly confirms new album for David Gilmour

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
battra
Knife
Knife

Re: Polly confirms new album for David Gilmour

Post by battra »

Will need to check this one out FORTHWITH!
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

Musically, I like the chorus, not crazy about the rest of the song.
As with most of Polly's lyrics, there are a few lines that I think are great, surrounded by a bunch of lines that are pretty forgettable.

The ending solo doesn't excite me the way it seems to be doing for a lot of people.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more from the album.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pmI've watched with subtitles and there's a line at the end about a Dealer.
Is it an anti-drugs song after all this time?
I think it's Stealer, and not Dealer. But there are some drug related lines, but I don't think it's a anti-drug song. More young rock star wanna dream big and live forever, then you get older and it doesn't matter anymore.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I think musically it’s quite nice. It’s a very drum forward song for David which was a nice surprise. I haven’t digested the lyrics yet but in most cases I don’t care about them anyway. I listen to his music for the emotion that comes through the instruments and obviously his guitar.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The David Gilmour interview in the June 2024 edition of Uncut magazine is excellent and confirms a couple of really great things.

David Gilmour Tour Confirmed in Uncut Magazine Interview
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

K2+ wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 pm Musically, I like the chorus, not crazy about the rest of the song.
As with most of Polly's lyrics, there are a few lines that I think are great, surrounded by a bunch of lines that are pretty forgettable.

The ending solo doesn't excite me the way it seems to be doing for a lot of people.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more from the album.
I'm ready to give him my money.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

Haven’t read the full Uncut interview, only the excerpts posted in the NPF article. Going by that, it seems there could be quite a departure from the usual set list, with fewer PF songs to be rolled out.

Fingers crossed then that the album is relatively strong. I think it’s fair to say that Polly’s lyrics don’t always resonate, certainly not in the same way Water’s did, and I felt, barring 2 or 3 songs, Rattle That Lock was mostly ‘good’, and didn’t really enter the realm of ‘Very Good’ or ‘Excellent’. On an Island, for me at least, was ‘Very Good’, although a couple of my favourite tracks on that album are instrumentals.

We know he’ll showcase the new album in full, so there’ll be some cherry picking from the previous two, and some early Floyd, which he has hinted at. It’s hard to imagine a Gilmour gig without songs like Wish You Were Here, Shine On, Time and Comfortably Numb though. Surely these would get an airing? It’s nice to freshen things up, of course, but I think fans would be disappointed if some of the very greatest Floyd songs were omitted.

On a separate point, was surprised to hear he has plans to release more music - another album ? - after this one. I’d kind of figured this would be his last. He is 78 after all. Rage against the dying of the light, David.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

I gotta say, his comments on "Get Back", makes me think about Nick Sedgwick`s "In the Pink (Not A Hunting Memoir)".
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

So, ofg farted and 'die hard' fans, like sheep, sighed and immediately smelled a wonderful perfume, dying to get a bottle of it.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Neil wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 am Haven’t read the full Uncut interview, only the excerpts posted in the NPF article. Going by that, it seems there could be quite a departure from the usual set list, with fewer PF songs to be rolled out.

Fingers crossed then that the album is relatively strong. I think it’s fair to say that Polly’s lyrics don’t always resonate, certainly not in the same way Water’s did, and I felt, barring 2 or 3 songs, Rattle That Lock was mostly ‘good’, and didn’t really enter the realm of ‘Very Good’ or ‘Excellent’. On an Island, for me at least, was ‘Very Good’, although a couple of my favourite tracks on that album are instrumentals.

We know he’ll showcase the new album in full, so there’ll be some cherry picking from the previous two, and some early Floyd, which he has hinted at. It’s hard to imagine a Gilmour gig without songs like Wish You Were Here, Shine On, Time and Comfortably Numb though. Surely these would get an airing? It’s nice to freshen things up, of course, but I think fans would be disappointed if some of the very greatest Floyd songs were omitted.

On a separate point, was surprised to hear he has plans to release more music - another album ? - after this one. I’d kind of figured this would be his last. He is 78 after all. Rage against the dying of the light, David.
I would be happy if he did drop Shine On as for me it did not sound as good as the 2006 tour, same with Time but it could also be that David is just bored of playing those songs now and wants to play some others instead he did it fine with the OAI playing more deepcuts and raritys. Arnold Layne, What Uh The Deal, Dominoes. Who knows he may add Lost For Words, Poles Apart, Keep Talking, Yet Another Movie, OTTA into the setlist this time around. High Hopes is certain along with IMO Sorrow
Loceng
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Loceng »

Concert dates are out!!!! 9th to 15th, exept 13th of october at Royal Albert Hall. General sale May 10th. Let’s hope the presale delivers 🤞🤞🤞🤞
<.8.>

https://ticketmaster-uk.tm7559.net/jrbZM6
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Very exciting that the UK Tour of David's new album has been announced.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/davi ... ed-for-rah

everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:47 am Very exciting that the UK Tour of David's new album has been announced.

UK tour 🤣
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

everton1690 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:10 am
Keith Jordan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:47 am Very exciting that the UK Tour of David's new album has been announced.

UK tour 🤣
:lol: .... think I'll wait for some Euro dates (hopefully)
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Yeah, that's not a tour, that's a residency. Not having too high hopes for the rest of it now... :(