Empty Spaces Lyrics – The Wall – Pink Floyd
Empty Spaces (Waters) 5:36
“Congratulations, You have just discovered the secret message.
Please send your answer to ‘Old Pink’,
Care of the funny farm, Chalfont…” – Spoken By Roger
“Roger, Caroline’s on the phone…” – Unknown Voice
What shall we use
To fill the empty spaces
Where we used to talk?
How shall I fill
The final places?
How should I complete the wall
The epic rock opera The Wall is one of Pink Floyd’s most popular albums and had great commercial success.
- In the Flesh?
- The Thin Ice
- Another Brick in the Wall Part 1
- The Happiest Days of our Lives
- Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
- Goodbye Blue Sky
- Empty Spaces
- Young Lust
- One of My Turns
- Don’t Leave Me Now
- Another Brick in the Wall Part 3
- Goodbye Cruel World
- Hey You
- Is There Anybody Out There?
- Nobody Home
- Bring the Boys Back Home
- Comfortably Numb
- The Show Must Go On
- In The Flesh
- Run Like Hell
- Waiting for the Worms
- The Trial
- Outside the Wall
“Empty Spaces” – An Analytical Overview
1. Introduction to “Empty Spaces” “Empty Spaces” is a track from Pink Floyd’s 1979 album “The Wall” that serves as a bridge in the album’s narrative. Known for its experimental sound and cryptic lyrics, the song delves into the protagonist Pink’s feelings of alienation and the widening gaps in his personal relationships.
2. Lyrical Exploration The lyrics of “Empty Spaces” are brief and somewhat enigmatic, reflecting the themes of emptiness and disconnection. The lines “What shall we use to fill the empty spaces where we used to talk?” pose a rhetorical question about how to cope with the growing emotional distance in Pink’s life. This question underscores the central theme of “The Wall” — the building of psychological barriers and the resulting sense of isolation.
3. Musical Composition and Style Musically, “Empty Spaces” is characterized by its progressive rock elements and innovative use of sound effects. The song features a slow build-up with a haunting atmosphere, created through a combination of synthesizers, guitar, and Roger Waters’ distorted vocals. The track’s experimental nature adds to the feeling of disorientation and emptiness that it aims to convey.
4. Narrative Significance in “The Wall” In the narrative of “The Wall,” “Empty Spaces” represents a pivotal point in Pink’s psychological journey. The song marks the beginning of his introspection about the emptiness and isolation in his life. It sets the stage for the subsequent track, “Young Lust,” by highlighting the emotional void that Pink attempts to fill with superficial relationships.
5. Impact and Interpretation “Empty Spaces” has been recognized for its innovative sound and its contribution to the overarching narrative of “The Wall.” The song’s experimental approach and its thematic exploration of alienation resonate with listeners, making it an integral part of the album’s exploration of the human psyche.
In summary, “Empty Spaces” is a crucial and thought-provoking track in Pink Floyd’s “The Wall.” Its experimental musical style and introspective lyrics contribute to the album’s exploration of themes such as isolation, disconnection, and the search for meaning in the face of emptiness. The song’s placement in the album enhances its narrative depth, making it a key piece in understanding the protagonist’s emotional journey.